Teacher in need of motivation and inspiration

dizzyblnddizzyblnd Forumite
446 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi Everyone,

I have 276 monthly mortgage payments left until I can be mortgage free. I need some motivation and inspiration please... :(
Mortgage free wannabee 2022 #82

Replies

• yep dont count them,

patience is a virtue
  • crazyguy wrote: »
    yep dont count them,

patience is a virtue

Crazy guy thinks he is a funny guy? :o

hello - this board is starting to get a bit overpopulated by teachers. :rotfl:Welcome.

Depends what you want to achieve. Are you wanting to work hard to pay it all off early, or are you wanting to pay some off so you can work part time?

Try reading some of the diaries here and on the debt free wannabee board to get you thinking. We have the All the small things thread as well to help motivate on a day by day basis. Then there are the challenges.

I think, first, think about what you would like to achieve and why, and then you can start thinking about how, and then there will be more motivation than you can shake a stick at.
  • HurdlerHurdler Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Find out as much as you can about what your terms and conditions are and then plan around those - if you can only pay over a certain percentage, then perhaps focus on that as your target. I have in theory 258 payments when I start proper at the next recalculation so you're not alone
    :beer:
    • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
    • MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
    • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2023 #70: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £55.66/£667.95
  • poppyoscar_3poppyoscar_3 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    hello - this board is starting to get a bit overpopulated by teachers. :rotfl:Welcome.

I'm a teacher too! :D

My biggest motivator was playing with mortgage calculators.
    Just by adding on £5 a month to what I was already overpaying made such a difference!

School holidays are good - I tried to have at least every other day as a petrol free day when I was at home and often achieved more than that.

Another thing I am currently doing is any money I svae on BOGOFs/special offrs etc, I actually physically put away, otherwise I've saved it but it's in the general slush fund.

Good luck!
    PO xx
    :D2010 MFW Challenge No. 112 Mortgage paid in full 27/08/10 I was MF!!!:D
    But now I'm not - (Joint) Mortgage £104704.
    New MFW target £5000 overpayments by 31/12/2105 £400/£5000 = 8%
    SAVINGS TARGET - £25000 by 31/12/2015 £13643/£25000 = 55%
    No 17 Lewis Lane
  • edited 27 July 2011 at 9:53AM
    MFW_10YRS_4MFW_10YRS_4 PPR
    82 Posts
    edited 27 July 2011 at 9:53AM
    Don't look at the full MFW challenge but instead break it down into 'bite sized' pieces and perhaps join one of the MFW challenges. I like to set a 3 year challenge for myself, but others like to set an annual challenge. Its all personal and it's all about keeping yourself motivated.

My current 3 year challenge is to own half the house, with the bank owning the other half. One year in and I have gone from owning 33% to owning 43%, but the last few percentage points are going to be difficult to reduce!! :(
  • fluffysoxfluffysox Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Also a teacher... I think the motivation for me is the freedom to possibly work less hours in the future or move to a less stressful job if I want to, or retire early.
    Also I hated the idea that for each pound you borrow you pay another in interest.
    And in these times of conservative cuts to public services even successful oversubscribed schools are having to make teachers redundant- the less debt hanging over my head the less worried I'll feel. (My school's budget being cut by £750,000 a year- even though we'll have the same number of students to teach)
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013 :)
  • Lois_ELois_E Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another teacher here. There are loads of us.

Anyway, dizzyblnd, the best way to get motivated and stay motivated is to hand around on this forum. Join the challenges, start a diary, read other people's diaries and comment on them. Oh, and I find making graphs on my spreadsheets helps too. :D
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
  • BaconandEggsBaconandEggs Forumite
    578 Posts
    Forumite
    Loads of teachers.
  • originalmiscellanyoriginalmiscellany Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Ahem, another teacher here! Great advice above;
    Set smaller targets that are achievable and where you can use APP to give a NC level at the end of every phase, and hopefully be in the FFT top 25 of value added.
    Seriously, smaller targets -you could aim for August to sell £310 of "stuff" on ebay in your house, and all profits to go to the mortgage fund.

Or your other challenge could be to get all your paperwork in order - what you pay and when, ring up all the companies and ask for all your bills to be lowered, esp. on mobile/landline/internet.

Or do a spending diary for August to see what you spend and how you can save?

Or try online shopping (if not done before) with a welcome £10 off the first shop and see if you can lower your food bills?

One quote I like is talking about how an athlete won his gold medal and he said "I didn't do one thing 100% better, I did 100 things 1% better". If you can start doing lots of small things, it will make a difference. And over time your mindset changes to do these things as a normal habit. Anyway I suggest you read diaries and do an SOA to see what the financial lay of the land is.

Have a great day!
    Feb 2012 - onwards MF achieved
    September 2016 - Back into clearing a mortgage - Was due to be paid off in 32 years in March 2047 -
    April 2018 down to 28.00 months vs 30.04 months at normal payment.
    Predicted mortgage clearing 03/2047 - now looking at 02/2045

Aims: 1) To pay off mortgage within 20 years - 2037
  • CathTCathT Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    For me simply starting to overpay was the motivation I needed. Spreadsheets and overpayment calculators are a fab was of realising the difference your OP's make. I am hoping to be mortgage free by the time i'm 40. It may just be possible. I'm not a teacher, I'm a nurse. I think there are just 3 of us on this forum!!
    Feb 2023 - part 1 - £40,464 part 2 - £27,583 Total - £68,047 57 months to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals