Can we cover a neighbour's window?

Options
The house next door to us has an extension, which was already there when we moved into the house. The fence between our gardens stops a the end of the extension. On the side of the window which faces our patio there are two frosted glass windows. Would we be okay to cover the windows with a cheap reed style panel (bought from Wilkinson's or similar)?

Also, our new neighbours have just put a summer house at the bottom of the garden, but rather than place it at ground level they have built up some decking to about 3/4 panels high and placed it on there. This is because our old neighbour had a tree removed, but left the stump and they can't get it out either. I have been told that this would have required planning permission due to it's height and locality to the fence. Can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• RTNI
    RTNI Posts: 817 Forumite
    Options
    If the decking is above 30cm above ground level then yes, planning permission is required for the decking.
    Regards, Robin.
    2011 MFW # 34
    Mortgage starting balance at Sept 09 - £127,224 on 30 year term. Currently balance approx £116,945 (Updated Jan '12)
    Estimated MFD - [STRIKE]Sept 2039[/STRIKE]
    , April 2031 (in progress!)
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In terms of blocking the window, I think putting up a fence is a little much. You do understand that you can't see a thing out of a normal frosted window? Whether you legally can do it is different to whether you actually should.

A good neighbour is a precious commodity and not one that should be thrown away lightly.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • paulofessex
    paulofessex Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Options
    mrcow wrote: »
    In terms of blocking the window, I think putting up a fence is a little much. You do understand that you can't see a thing out of a normal frosted window? Whether you legally can do it is different to whether you actually should.

A good neighbour is a precious commodity and not one that should be thrown away lightly.

I like that, it is so true.

Perhaps as they are new neighbours invite them in for a BBQ when the weather is good to get to start knowing them and then you can decide if to approach them regarding your issues/concerns
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a bit rusty on this subject so please don't take this as gospel. I seem to recall that after 20 years your neighbour acquires the "right to light", which could prevent you from doing anything on your side that would reduce the amount of light coming through their window. So for instance they could prevent you building an extension.

However, this right can be blocked by either erecting a screen/fence in front of the window, or probably more friendly, giving them written consent to have the windows on the boundary but with the qualification that that permission can be withdrawn at any time.

If I were you I'd do some reading up on "rights of light" or seek professional advice.
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    If the glass in their window is frosted, they can't see anything through it, so why do you want to cover it up?
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is quite possible that it was a planning condition, or there is a covenant, that only frosted windows can be used where they overlook your garden.
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rather than a fence, I'd be more inclined to go for a bushy potted tree strategically placed as so not to block out light from above, but to block any potental views of the patio (not that I think there would be any given the glass is frosted.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • panchenlama
    panchenlama Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    take a photo of the view of your garden from the window, have it printed and stick that on the window facing in. They'll never know...!
    As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.
  • Smoggie69
    Smoggie69 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.

I agree that a good neighbour is good to have, but there is an underlying issue to this where a good neighbour has been replaced by a pain in the....

The new neighbour is currently doing the house up, which involves DIY being done until 10pm. As we have a 8 month old son I asked them if they wouldn't mind keeping the noisier jobs (hammering, drilling, etc.) to a minimum at night as he goes to bed at 7. When I had to knock at 9.30 one of the nights as it got ridiculous (drilling, alarm continuously going off due to electrical work) I was greeted with a response of "Well I've just moved in and I'm trying to do the house up." Not a hint of sympathy for a baby trying to sleep. So this is more of an idea borne out of frustration.

With regard to right to light the houses were built in the mid 80s so I'd assume that the extension could be no older than 25 years, give or take. Also, it has windows to all three sides in a south facing garden.

The summer house is a bit of an eyesore at its current height and I would be concerned that when we try to sell the house that potential buyers (should we get any) would be put off by a outbuilding with a view of our patio.

I like the idea of the potted bush/plant as it is more decorative than a panel.
  • temba
    temba Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    I'm amazed they got planning permission for that extension as the rules on windows overlooking other people's property are really strict.
    [SIZE=-4]MF date: Dec [STRIKE]2028[/STRIKE] 2019. Overpayments in 2007=£900, 2008=£1200 2009=23400[/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport