Eating out in Edinburgh for £15 Jan - Feb

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
11 replies 1.6K views
AmysAmys Forumite
919 Posts
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
Sorry I haven't posted in here before, but I found this and can't see it posted already. Found it while looking at what to do when we visit Edinburgh in a couple of weeks time.

DEtails from the web site say

Dine Around Edinburgh 2007

Dine out in style in some of Edinburgh’s finest restaurants for only £15 per person!

Visit Scotland, in partnership with the Edinburgh Restaurateurs’ Association is pleased to introduce Dine Around 2007.

Running from Monday 8th January to Sunday 4th February 2007 inclusive, it is a fantastic opportunity to treat yourself to a delicious two course menu for only £15 per person at one of 30 participating restaurants across Edinburgh.

How to book:
To book your table for our great £15 offer, select the restaurant where you wish to dine and call the restaurant with your booking quoting “Dine Around Edinburgh 2007”

http://eatscotland.visitscotland.com/dinearoundedinburgh/

Any advice on which ones are good etc, and any other advice on where to go greatfully recieved (I have read the sticky posts as well ).

Replies

• RudiRudi Forumite
    341 Posts
    Hi Amys

My suggestions on best value would be:
      The Waterfront Wine Bar & Grill - lovely seafood...it's on the Waterfront, Leith; you can dine in their conservatory overlooking the Water O' Leith and....lovely house wine.
        Skippers Seafood Bistro....is next to the Waterfront and also has lovely seafood dishes - smaller restaurant but considered exclusive.
          Howies Waterloo Place...I've never tried this one but my friends love it.
            Britannia Spice.....again, never tried it, but friends praise the choice of Indian food.

Just my recommendations......

Hendersons is a vegetarian restaurant and one of my favourites but this deal is not good value as the prices are low anyway.

The Doric is really handy for Waverley Train Station and has a good selection but this deal is not good value as they are reasonably priced.

Anyway,I wish you a good experience in Edinburgh and happy eating!
          • DumyatDumyat Forumite
            2.1K Posts
            Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
            ✭✭✭✭
            Have eaten in Howies a few times and food has always been very good, freshly cooked.
            friends like Britannia spice..and has won a few awards I believe.

just noticed Kweilin chinese restaurant is on the list too. the food there is lovely.
            x x x
          • carl_eastcarl_east Forumite
            476 Posts
            I went out to Le Sept last month and it's excellent. It's a great French restaurant with huge portions. You will only need two course. Trust me! Although their puddings are amazing.

Howies is tried and trusted and you can't really go wrong there. I think it's bring your own to.

Check out here for reviews of all the restaurants:

http://www.list.co.uk/restaurants/index.php
          • alison74alison74 Forumite
            1.6K Posts
            Just bumping this up so some more people can see this offer before it runs out.

Thanks to the OP
          • LorianLorian Forumite
            5.2K Posts
            Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
            ✭✭✭✭
            I found britannia spice to be particularly lacking in atmosphere and particularly bland curry.
          • We've booked for Merchants for tomorrow evening with this deal. Heard several good reports about it before so I'm looking forward to trying it out myself. Menu looks lovely on their website!

Jackie
          • Be wary of Howies - you either love it or hate it. Personally i find it vastly overpriced with a menu which ranges from the bizarre to the inedible and I would never eat there through choice - I do want to like it but I have never had a meal i enjoyed there. On the positive side, I would add Daniels Bistro to the list of places recommended.
            Number 86 - Stole a car from a one legged woman... I'm just trying to be a better person
          • competitionscafecompetitionscafe Forumite
            4.1K Posts
            ✭✭✭✭
            Café St Honoré was good when I last tried it but that was a couple of years ago, Martin Wishart rates it; though the Sunday Herald slated 'The Wee' [one of his choices] in last weekends magazine review.

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/article/2006/oct/14/shortbreaks.edinburgh.travelawards2006?print

"Best restaurants by Martin Wishart

The Wee Restaurant
            Family owned, run by Craig and Vikki Wood, it opened around eight months ago using the best local ingredients and producing simple, good seasonal food.
            17 Main St, North Queensferry (01383 616263, theweerestaurant.co.uk).

Café St Honoré
            A real taste of the old France with 1920s decor. A lot of my customers are also regulars here and I can understand why.
            34 North West Thistle St Lane (0131-226 2211, cafesthonore.com).

La Concha
            A small, Italian, basement restaurant. The atmosphere is comfortable and you always feel that the chef Ricardo takes good care of you.
            24 Deanhaugh St, Stockbridge (0131-332 0414).

Fishers in the City
            Always busy and they offer inventive fish dishes changing daily, but I have the fishcakes every time.
            58 Thistle St (0131-225 5109).

The Kitchin
            A new arrival on Leith's waterfront and one of our neighbours. Tom Kitchin is a great young chef, who uses fresh, seasonal ingredients. People love the open kitchen and relaxed atmosphere.
            78 Commercial Quay (0131-555 1755, thekitchin.com).

· Martin Wishart is chef patron of Restaurant Martin Wishart, 54 The Shore (0131-553 3557, martin-wishart.co.uk)."
            "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
            best of everything; they just make the best
            of everything that comes along their way."
            -- Author Unknown --
          • competitionscafecompetitionscafe Forumite
            4.1K Posts
            ✭✭✭✭
            jacklia wrote:
            We've booked for Merchants for tomorrow evening with this deal. Heard several good reports about it before so I'm looking forward to trying it out myself. Menu looks lovely on their website!

Jackie

How was it? Menu does look good apart from the "Fillet of habitat topped with a herb crust served with a garlic and tomato butter" :) Think I would go for the beef and then the mousse.
            "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
            best of everything; they just make the best
            of everything that comes along their way."
            -- Author Unknown --
          • LorianLorian Forumite
            5.2K Posts
            ✭✭✭✭
            I know its not posh, but Jimmy Chungs Chinese buffet on Waverley bridge is £12 for eat as much as you like. A good money saving tip, but DONT go there if you are on a diet! I think it's about £6 for lunch.
          This discussion has been closed.
          Latest News and Guides