Success Stories??

13»

Comments

• whitewitch wrote:
    At my worst my partner and I owed £67,000. Its taken about 4 years but I am finally debt free as of today. YAHOO!!!!!!

:j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j
  • Well done, XbigMan and white witch so pleased for you both hope you have a wonderful debt free life i'm sure you both will.
    cc debt ( end dec 05) 6485 :eek:
    Currently:4475.73

Shopping for March
    Week 1: £46.74
    Week 2:
    Week 3:
    Week 4:
    A+L loan but as I have already paid the intrest no point in paying it off early(dont get one) so going to save, save, save when cc paid off

The £2.00 savers club:£24.00
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Well done on becoming debt free White witch. But oh dear, another woman left to shoulder an ex's debts. It seems to be a familiar story.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    And Xbigman, thanks for all your interesting and informative posts and your inspiring story.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Verbatim wrote:
    Well done on becoming debt free White witch. But oh dear, another woman left to shoulder an ex's debts. It seems to be a familiar story.

ahem it does happen the other way as well!!!

Will
    SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Xbigman - what an inspiration. As you can see from my signature I've had my lightbulb moment and I am slowly reducing that debt....even though I earn quite a lot as a single mum its still difficult and your story has encouraged me to keep plodding on.

I hope by May 2008 (if not before) I too can be an inspiration to others. Thanks so much for sharing your story and admitting that not only have you been unlucky but you've also made some bad decisions...I think that describes me to a tee but I intend to turn that completely round.

Thanks!!
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all the kind words. Here is an update.

My brother continues his money disasters. He owes 7k to the inland revenue (neglected to tell CTC that he got married), owes £800 on his gas bill (never read the meter for 2 years) and 600 in council tax arrears (never told them he had a job). He worked for the RAC for the six months up to the end of Nov when he walked into work and asked for December off to go to Thailand, 'oh which days' says his boss. 'No' says my brother, 'I want DECEMBER off'. He no longer works for them. The trip to Thailand was financed by credit cards. And it turns out he was actually self employed when working for the RAC and hasn't paid any tax or NI. Also, despite have nearly 20k in the bank he borrowed the money to buy a BMW last year.
    Now he has asked me for advice. About paying off his debts? NO. He and his Thai wife have an offer off four times joint income for a mortgage of 100k. Oh yeah, he doesn't have a job yet. Hmmm.

My daughter has left college and is unemployed. She should have claimed unemployment benefit from November but hasn't recieved anything yet. The DHSS never put the forms through until Jan so she seems to have lost 2 months money anyway. As soon as she knows officially she will be appealing this (or rather she will sign the letter I write appealing it). She is also £139 overdrawn due to Natwest trying to honour a DD she has cancelled with them. Otherwise she is fine. She lost 2 stone (just 4 more to go), she works in a charity shop one day a week :A , and now goes to church every week and sings in the choir. If only she would be more responsible with money.

Me. Well I'm now starting to pay off the mortgage early. I'm under budget on just about everything all the time. I have a new Barclays bank account for the £100 incentive and today I've recieved an application form for a 1st direct bank account offering £35 incentive that I'll go for. So everything is fine? Well no. I appear to have recieved a 7k pension payout I'm not actually entitled too at 43 so there is a big issue to sort out there. I can assure you I will come out ahead eventually.

My message is this. Watch your finances. Learn about everything you can. If you don't understand something, ask about it. Never let anything get by you.
    This applies to everything. I'll give you an example. Each year for the past three years I've been told I have over booked holidays by one day. Each year I have steamed up to HR with a printout of the holiday page from my spreadsheet and got the holiday I was owed. Like I said, never let anything get by you.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income