Options
Any good deals around ?

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello stamford

You will probably get more responses in the 'Health' board, so I'll move your thread across.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lidl had one last week so there may still be some left. About £5 I think.
  • winnie81
    Options
    LLoyds chemist have some for £10 too . they are pretty good i got one a week or so ago
    Wife to a great husband and mum to 4 fantastic kids 9,8,4,3 they drive me mad but I would do anything and give everything for my family :grinheart
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    The Lidl's blood pressure monitor is of the wrist cuff variety and the arm cuff ones are supposed to be better.
    Lloyds Pharmacy have this one at £9.99
    I bought one of these a couple of months ago and was decidedly peeved when it showed my partner had NORMAL readings and I had HIGH Normal.
    But by reducing salt even further, lowering booze intake and weight somewhat and increasing exercise I've managed to get my regular readings over 80 down to just the odd blip once a week or so.
    It's quite satisfying to log your readings and see the graph steadily moving (more or less) in the right direction.
    This Bpassoc file allows you to record readings for morning and evening each day but you may choose to take readings less often. To open the file click here.

Don't forget that eating only wholegrain foods such as wholewheat bread, brown rice and wholewheat pasta will drop your scores down a bit. Similarly that very strong 74% Cacao dark chocolate also drops bp a bit.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Options
    molerat wrote:
    Lidl had one last week so there may still be some left. About £5 I think.

They did - at the Lidl in nearby town manager said he sold all the 250 they had in first couple of hours !
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would suggest you give this site a good read:-

http://www.bhsoc.org/default.stm

The message appears to be; if you are going to buy a BP monitor buy a decent one !
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote:
    Would suggest you give this site a good read:-

http://www.bhsoc.org/default.stm

The message appears to be; if you are going to buy a BP monitor buy a decent one !
    After getting my Lloyds £9.99 automatic blood pressure monitor and using it for a few days I had an appointment at hospital so while I was waiting I talked a nurse into taking my blood pressure which she did and produced readings almost identical with those I'd taken using the Lloyds monitor. So my high normal readings at that time were confirmed.

I personally cannot see any point in spending more for an arm cuff monitor than Lloyds special offer. All you need is for it to be consistent and so providing you've had a test at your surgery which you can compare with your home reading that's all you need.
    The track record of readings over a period will show whether the measures (diet/exercise/salt/booze etc) you've adopted to lower those readings are working or not. All you need the monitor for is to show if the situation is improving/worsening/staying the same, your health professional is going to take their own readings before changing medication anyway so I really don't the point in having a delux model when all you are doing is keeping an eye on the BP readings trend.
  • DebtphobicDeirdre
    Options
    I think you can get your blood pressure checked and a diabetes check free at Lloyds Chemist. Iwould recommend this as even a cheap monitor would need to be recalibrated at least annually by the manufacturer. Diabetes has often caused damage before it is diagnosed and can have terrible consequencies- my Dad got kidney failure and died.
    earn what you can, save what you can, give what you can :hello:
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    I think you can get your blood pressure checked and a diabetes check free at Lloyds Chemist. I would recommend this as even a cheap monitor would need to be recalibrated at least annually by the manufacturer. Diabetes has often caused damage before it is diagnosed and can have terrible consequencies- my Dad got kidney failure and died.
    Good idea that as you could also take your special offer one with you when you ask them to check your readings and see if you get a similar result on yours, as they do on theirs.

It does vary somewhat between readings and arms so providing the difference is acceptable it's possible both readings are accurate.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    I think you can get your blood pressure checked and a diabetes check free at Lloyds Chemist. I would recommend this as even a cheap monitor would need to be recalibrated at least annually by the manufacturer. Diabetes has often caused damage before it is diagnosed and can have terrible consequencies- my Dad got kidney failure and died.
    Good idea that as you could also take your special offer one with you when you ask them to check your readings and see if you get a similar result on yours, as they do on theirs.

It does vary somewhat between readings and arms so providing the difference is acceptable it's possible both readings are accurate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family