Council Tax Reclaim and Extensions

Options
Hi,

There are a mix of houses in my street. Several '4 bed + garage' semis, several '3 bed + garage' semis and 3 small rows of '3 bed no garage' terraces. I live in one of the terraces.

I have just checked the banks online and nearly all of the houses in the street are on bank C except on of the rows of terraces which are in bank B. I am assuming the people in these have challenged their banding but obviously don't know this for certain.

So I plan to challenge my banding. However, I have had a ground floor extension on my house recently. Checking the VOA website they say extensions usually only affect council tax when a transaction takes place (usually buying/selling). My neighbours (4 bed) have an 'improvement indicator' next to their entry to say the banding may change when the next transaction takes place but there is no indicator against my house.

Does anyone have any thoughts of advice on this? I can't see much of an issue in challenging it, my house is one of the cheapest in the street and so is very unlikely to go up.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Providing your house is the same (pre extension) as the Band B houses, just ask VOA why your terrace wasn't reduced in line with those.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure