Options
13»

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    I wonder if there will ever be a test case where the company will charge customers for the kWh they have 'lost'?

Where meters have become faulty(under or over-reading on not reading at all) they are authorised to estimate consumption based on previous consumption.
    Hi

I agree, there are a number of examples available where a new meter is fitted to replace one which is broken or faulty, then the previous consumption estimated. When the energy providers consider that there are enough meters doing this to warrant chasing up I'd guess that a position will be found for summer placement student or two to earn a few pennies ..... :D

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • JenR8
    JenR8 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I have had a backward meter, which has recently been replaced with a new digital one. I regret not using electricity for everything as Scottish Power have estimated our leccy use for the 110 day period we have had the panels as the same as last year when we didn't! We are about to leave them, and have had so much trouble communicating with them I can't face the hassle of trying to take them to task on this. (I will lose more money on phonecalls).
    Just glad to be moving away from them!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a look at my thread on green gadgets: It may actually be cheaper to buy brand new gadgets than stick with your current gadgets!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3366586
  • zeupater
    edited 21 July 2011 at 10:41AM
    Options
    ecofreaks wrote: »
    see this video on you tube , watch the meter at the end .

http://www.youtube.com/user/MontyPython?gl=GB&hl=en-GB#p/c/6FD5A97331C1B802/7/M_eYSuPKP3Y

:money: infomation FREE!
    Hi

We all know what a meter reversing looks like .... I wonder whether the beginning of the video and other information is just as relevant, and whether the following link is more appropriate ?? ..... (http://www.youtube.com/user/MontyPython?gl=GB&hl=en-GB#p/c/6FD5A97331C1B802/7/M_eYSuPKP3Y)

Anyway, I wonder whether the installer has advised their customer that they are still liable to pay their supplier for the amount of electricity they would estimate has been saved as a result of the backwards spinning meter ??? .... I do not see this as a particularly good sales ploy and I would question the legality and morality of providing advice to potential customers regarding this in order to gain a sale ....

I had an installer pushing, amongst other things I didn't like, the extra savings available from having an analogue meter running backwards and was adamant that ours, simply because it is analogue, would run backwards. After providing 'free' education about what the ratchet symbol on the meter meant, the salesman was asked not to quote & shown the door .... strangely, I was recently talking to someone who had a pv quotation from the same installer earlier this year and they were still using the same ploy, even though the meter in question is the same model as ours, including the ratchet symbol printed on the front.

I just wonder how many have fallen for this ploy and because of the nature of the information have had absolutely no recourse and just put it down to 'bad luck' .....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • zeupater
    edited 21 July 2011 at 8:47PM
    Options
    Hi All

On the subject of 'Too much power' ... has anyone had too much pv power this week ? ... anyone used a washing machine or a dishwasher without importing ?? ... what about ironing, or cooking, or the kettle ?? .... I suppose the immersion heater's had the meter spinning a little too ....

Of course, if anyone's been using a timer everything will probably just be fine .... ;)

Su - 9.2kWh
    Mo - 9.3
    Tu - 8.6
    We - 14.7
    Th - 13.9

... Not bad 55.7kWh off a 4kWp system over 75 generating hours in mid summer .... 'Too much power' ? ...... :rotfl:

Z
    B)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport