Help...I'm stuck with a credit note!

Options
I bought a fireplace sorround and insert from a second hand shop this saturday 2/7/2011 for £200 and paid cash... it was broken in two pieces but they convinced me any builder would put it together with abit of plaster. anyway, i changed my mind and went back the following day asking for a refund. at the foot of the invoice it says deposits non-refundable, but this was not a deposit but the full price.
They won't give me my money back,only a credit note of the same amount which I'm not happy about...
I just want my money back...what can I do?

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 July 2011 at 1:04AM
    Options
    I bought a fireplace sorround and insert from a second hand shop this saturday 2/7/2011 for £200 and paid cash... it was broken in two pieces but they convinced me any builder would put it together with abit of plaster. anyway, i changed my mind and went back the following day asking for a refund. at the foot of the invoice it says deposits non-refundable, but this was not a deposit but the full price.
    They won't give me my money back,only a credit note of the same amount which I'm not happy about...
    I just want my money back...what can I do?
    So you bought it knowing that it was broken?

You have no statutory right to a refund just because you have changed your mind.

In fact, even offering you a credit note may be more than he needs to do.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    So you bought it knowing that it was broken?

You have no statutory right to a refund just because you have changed your mind.

If the seller is saying the money paid is a deposit, all the seller is entitled to reatin is any reasonable losses.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    If the seller is saying the money paid is a deposit, all the seller is entitled to reatin is any reasonable losses.

buyer has decided product not wanted
    seller says take product you bought it

its up to buyer to negotiate a take it back option
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that is not what the seller is saying.

The OP has told us...
    at the foot of the invoice it says deposits non-refundable, but this was not a deposit but the full price.
    Sounds to me that the 'deposits non-refundable' text is just a pre-printed phrase on the invoice that in this case is irrelevant.
  • Oliver14
    Oliver14 Posts: 5,878 Forumite
    Options
    Theat is a red herring the OP is just quoting off the invoice no where do they say they paid a deposit in fact they asy they paid full price. As such they have no righ of return so the seller is doing more than is needed.
    'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
    Samuel Clemens
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    OP, it was your change of mind/heart, they do not legally bear the burden of your fickleness! The credit note is a fair offer, find something else you like in the place and get that instead. Remember to check how long the credit note is good for, by the way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure