Will anyone "buy" a 3 piece suite these days?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
5 replies 6.1K views
scottish_blendscottish_blend Forumite
219 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
I have a 3 piece suite to sell (a 3 seater couch and 2 chairs)

This is in excellent condition - my reason for getting rid of it is that I used to live with my grandad, and the suite was his. He died, and its kind of getting rid of a memory for me, no other reason.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Glasgow (or greater glasgow) area that buys old suites?
I have no more money to give - all you companies out there - do your worst - I give in!! :(

Replies

  • thehustler wrote:
    I have a 3 piece suite to sell (a 3 seater couch and 2 chairs)

    This is in excellent condition - my reason for getting rid of it is that I used to live with my grandad, and the suite was his. He died, and its kind of getting rid of a memory for me, no other reason.

    Does anyone know of anywhere in the Glasgow (or greater glasgow) area that buys old suites?

    It depends on its age and condition ..... otherwise .... the best and only other alternative is give it to a charity.
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    neobis wrote:
    It depends on its age and condition ..... otherwise .... the best and only other alternative is give it to a charity.

    Yeah and they are really fussy these days LOL, we offered a decent suite on freecycle in September and 2 people were interested but neither turned up, local charities weren't interested and we had to take it to the tip as we ran out of time (due to beong messed around by the freecyclers) and we had no room to store it once the new one arrived.

    HOPE YOU HAVE MORE SUCCESS:money:
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • nearlyrich wrote:
    Yeah and they are really fussy these days LOL, we offered a decent suite on freecycle in September and 2 people were interested but neither turned up, local charities weren't interested and we had to take it to the tip as we ran out of time (due to beong messed around by the freecyclers) and we had no room to store it once the new one arrived.

    HOPE YOU HAVE MORE SUCCESS:money:

    we had a nice 1 too charity took it but they gotta make sure it meets all rquierd safety laws etc its not they would like it it just they gotta cover themselves
  • Contains_Mild_PerilContains_Mild_Peril Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless it's exceptionally posh and in pristine condition, you're unlikely to get a furniture dealer interested. You could try selling privately via an ad in a paper or a supermarket board, or if you just want to find it a home and aren't that bothered about the money, you could give it away on Freecycle or to a charity. There's a furniture project which collects stuff in the Glasgow area and passes it on to those in need. They advertise in The Big Issue - I'll see if I've got a copy lying around to post details later. I think Social Services depts also still accept furniture if they have families on their books who need such items. Your local church may also be able to help.
    I once tried to give a 3 piece suite to a furniture project in my area, and they agreed to take it even when I warned them I live in a 3rd floor flat, but when the men arrived, they noticed that one of the chairs had been slightly torn and not very neatly repaired, so refused to take the suite. I was really annoyed because if they'd said they'd view it then decide whether to take it, I could have planned around that, but they'd said they were definitely taking it when I told them it was in usable condition, which it was, and even if the damaged chair was unacceptable, they could have taken the couch and the other chair. My theory is that they were looking for an excuse to reject it because they didn't want to have to move it down 3 flights of stairs.
  • lilac_ladylilac_lady Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you'll have problems because the fashion now seems to be for sofas. Also people would rather get credit for expensive new furniture rather than pay cash for good second hand items. Not MSE-ers, of course!
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

    Plato


This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals