PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning help - wall

Options
Hi guys

Hopefully you'll be able to help us! We're moving out of our rented house, and having moved my housemate's bed away from the wall, it looks like the colour in his bedding has rubbed off onto the wall.. black on magnolia! The paint around the house is generally very good at flaking off etc, so I'm reluctant to try anything too harsh on it. Wiping with a damp cloth has helped some, but it is still very visible. Has anyone got any ideas??

Also, if anyone could remind us of things we're likely to forget to clean (we're students, this is our first time moving out and there is so much to do!) that would be much appreciated!

Many thanks
Rosemary

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I were in your position I'd paint that wall, it'll cost less than £5 for some paint for one wall; if you leave it and they charge you then it'll cost you much more than this.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • valentina
    valentina Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    'Magic erasers' can be quite good, but try them somewhere inconspicuous first. You can get them from pound shops and Wilkos.

For cleaning, you need to do all of the bits you usually forget. So go round the windows and get any mildewy marks off, dust the skirting boards, get rid of cobwebs, clean the oven (and the fan filter, if there is one). Give the bathroom a good going over and make sure there's no grime on the tiles or grout (Dettol mould and mildew spray is great for this, but it's bleach based so be careful). Sweep and mop, and give carpets a good hoover. Make sure any lampshades aren't dusty - it sounds fussy but if you've got a picky agency that's the kind of stuff they charge you for. Don't forget to make sure all the bulbs are working too - a friend of mine got charged £25 for each one that wasn't ...
  • MaggieBaking
    MaggieBaking Posts: 964 Forumite
    Options
    Not MSE but I think it's called ScotchBrite from Tescos - it's got white foamy stuff on one side and a blue scourer on the other side. It seems very similar to Magic Erasers but I haven't tried those.

I've used this to clear off scuffs, and cat bogeys and all sorts off our previous rented properties - it's marvellous and definitely cheaper than being charged for redecoration by your landlord!
  • MessyTessie
    MessyTessie Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    My son's duvet cover does the same thing (although red on blue walls) I find that wiping it down with either diluted Stardrops or Sugar Soap works, although I will say we do have kitchen/bathroom paint on that wall because that's what we had in already.
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    I find stardrops and hot water scrubs up walls really well :)
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    repaint the wa.. or rather get the peron whose room it was to repaint it.. a tin of cheap magnolia emulsion will be a couple of quid.. way less than trying various random not guarantee'd to work cleaning products.

harsh scrub with a scrubby sponge and washing up liquid.. wait until dry and slop some paint on.. jobs a goodun

It is probably matt paint if it scrubs off .
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts