Help please!

Options
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a nightmare and wondered if anyone could help!

I have been working in IT for the past 11 years (I am 34 years old), my recent job was working as an IT Manager for a well known bank, unfortunately I got made redundant back in January, since then I have been looking for work and although recruiters are telling me that I have excellent experience and I have been to nearly 6 interview, i still haven't got a job (The feedback i'm getting from employer is that i was a good candidate, but someone else fitted the role slightly better).

Nearly 7 months on (I have a mortgage and wife is pregnant:)) I am being forced to look at other avenues, one of them being IT recruitment. I am aware that recruiters can make decent money and I was thinking that perhaps if I work in recruitment for a few years, I could then use my contact and experience to open my own agency.

I think because I am getting know where with IT jobs, I'm talking myself out of getting a job in IT and in another sector such as recruitment. I recently went for a final interview with a recruitment agency, they seem to like me, and if i do get it do you think i'm making a huge mistake coming out of IT and going into recruitment? I am thinking if I spend the next few years learning the business of recruitment I will be able to build up my own business??

I think I have nearly hit my peak in IT (salary wise) so perhaps a switch now would be good???

I'm feeling terribly confused!! :think:

Comments

• ESKIMO
    ESKIMO Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    How many agencies have you signed up to? You don't have to limit your self to one. Exploit them! - Make sure it's not them exploiting you. Get all of them to do all the searching for you.

It's quite easy to stick to what you know. Think of what your IT skills are/would be applicable to a new employer. Check out their website - SEO optimisation, is there website safe and secure or user friendly, easy to navigate. Are they lacking in an IT dept maybe? - Could this mean that they are losing possible revenue or not considering branching out. Point out opportunities to them.

Training on a tangent in a new job is difficult esp without the experience. Maybe assess what are your most beneficial transferable skills, leadership, management, consultancy, project management, mentoring/training - maybe you could use your skills to train their staff and bring them upto date with new systems or go about selling new software/hardware to increase their productivity. World is your oyster. Good luck!
    Young At Heart and Ever The Optimist: "You can't sell ice to Eskimo."

Waste Not, Want Not. - Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure