contacting creditors

Options
hi
is it worth me contacting my creditors with my br ref or just ignore the letters etc?
yesterday kays rang and when i said i didnt have my ref no as i was out,she said it would go further!
in the end i said im br how much further do you think it can go then said goodbye and put the phone down lol.
would prefer sorting things though or is it a waste of effort? thanks
bsc 347:j

Comments

• dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    Options
    To save money I would wait for them to contact you and then give the ref number etc. I did not contact any of my creditors after going BR ,as there is nothing they can do to you now anyway, but it is up to the individual whether you contact them or not.
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • mandyl
    mandyl Posts: 806 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks shouldnt get many calls but i expect ill still get loads of letters. hopefully no visits mind you
  • scp941
    scp941 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    mandyl wrote: »
    thanks shouldnt get many calls but i expect ill still get loads of letters. hopefully no visits mind you

I didn't actually get many letters after my BR.

I did get one from a debt recovery agency about two months afterward because a certain well known high street bank sold the debt onto them after my BR. Just phoned them up with my reference and that was it.
  • Ineedaname
    Ineedaname Posts: 3,658 Forumite
    Options
    You need to be patient to allow the OR to contact your creditors, they have 8 weeks from your BR date in which to do this. If anyone rings you just tell them you are BR, give the ref if you have it handy or tell them to speak to the OR's office in xx town or even to go check the insolvency register. What you said on the phone today is absolutely correct, there is nothing more they can do, they're just trying it on.

After the 8 weeks, if anyone calls or sends you a letter then just tell them the same, log the call and inform the OR or forward any letters on to the OR's office.

The debts are no longer your direct responsibility but the OR's, so there is no onus on you to enter into any discussions or correspondence. ALL your creditors should be directed to the OR, end of.
    When I joined, I needed a name. The forum members gave one to me...I am INAN :D
    "Fortunes ebb and flow and a boat must move with the tide and be thankful that it floats." Judith Allnatt
  • elliesmemory1
    elliesmemory1 Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did contact my creditors just because I wanted as little hassle as possible, I did still get a couple of letters and had to write to one of them again to tell them to stop or would contact or. It is up to you really. I did it as I wanted to put a stop to all the letters and phone calls, but you dont have too.
  • SurreyLass1
    SurreyLass1 Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    About a week after BR, I did start answering the phone again, even to the dreaded Caller ID Withheld numbers, and it meant I told 2 of my creditors, but the rest stopped contact as soon as they heard from the OR, about 2 weeks after my OR interview, though it does depend on your OR as to how quickly he/she does his/her report to creditors I believe. Mine told me on the phone that they do their reports as quickly as they can.
    'Don't judge me 'till you have walked a mile in my shoes'
  • mandyl
    mandyl Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    Ineedaname wrote: »
    You need to be patient to allow the OR to contact your creditors, they have 8 weeks from your BR date in which to do this. If anyone rings you just tell them you are BR, give the ref if you have it handy or tell them to speak to the OR's office in xx town or even to go check the insolvency register. What you said on the phone today is absolutely correct, there is nothing more they can do, they're just trying it on.

After the 8 weeks, if anyone calls or sends you a letter then just tell them the same, log the call and inform the OR or forward any letters on to the OR's office.

The debts are no longer your direct responsibility but the OR's, so there is no onus on you to enter into any discussions or correspondence. ALL your creditors should be directed to the OR, end of.
    its not really about being patient more that even though they cant do anything i dont want the upset of someone on my doorstep again.
    kays rang me at 8.30 am then again at 10 and 12 and then in the afternoon.
  • kes0904
    kes0904 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Most of our creditors have finally stopped calling, but it has taken about 8 weeks to calm down
    We had quite a few creditors as debt was spread across lots of cards, loans etc
    We found even when we spoke to them to let them know we were BR and gave the details, they still continued to call
    We have had two attempts to speak to us via our doorstep- we were out both times and they've not tried again
    I think the message must have got through- as everything has now gone quiet- it's very peaceful at home now!
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Up to you I suppose?

If you are bothered about it, then you can send proof to creditors and a stern instruction for them to cease contact. I'm not saying that all will respect that, but perhaps worth at least trying.

Or if you don't want to outlay on recorded delivery letters, and can find an appropriate customer service/complaints email address, then you could try emailing a letter and scanned BR docs to creditors?

Obviously if contact persistent or threatening then also contact/involve your OR. If the debts are passed to new companies, then you will need to update the OR with those details anyway.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure