Options
2»

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,072 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    DON79 wrote: »
    Unless of course they are like my current lender and they are no longer offering any fixed rates etc.

We are not interest only, we are repayment, but we are stuck on standard variable and cannot fix as my lender just is not offering any fixed/capped/tracker mortgages. So whilst it is very good for us that interest rates are low, we are not so keen if the rates shoot up again, which hopefully will be a couple of years given the way things are at the moment.

Lots of people are on variable rates as these are so much lower than the fixed rates at the moment.

If your payment is very low, one option is to set money aside into a savings plan each month to put towards any rise in payments when interest rates rise.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • kepar
    kepar Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    On what basis will they give you a 175% mortgage?
  • DON79
    DON79 Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Lots of people are on variable rates as these are so much lower than the fixed rates at the moment.

If your payment is very low, one option is to set money aside into a savings plan each month to put towards any rise in payments when interest rates rise.

Trying hard to but my OH is an awful saver! he doesn't see the point of saving :mad: and he is the chief breadwinner so I save what little I can but I can see it getting nibbled away at all the time :(
    BSC #215/No.1 Jan 09 Club
  • m1234w
    m1234w Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    £75k negative equity on a property with an interest only mortgage which is unaffordable at a time when the BOE base rate is 0.5%?

I know what I would do (I did)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport