Solar Panel Guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I don't know 16 x £30 = 480 plus markup plus does it take longer to install?

Shouldn't take much longer, instead of connecting one panel to the next, the go panel to PO to next panel, so just a small amount of extra work. As T says the SE inverter is about £250 less than a SMA. Plus it's more efficient, 12yr warranty, but most important, you can slap any combination of panels, anywhere you like. In your case, if you can't resolve the voltage on the smaller string, then this gives you another approach.

Or, if your preferred installer can't get the panels needed at a decent price (each installer will have their favourite supplier, so availability and prices will vary on what they have in stock) then the install cost may creep up, and the SE kit will work out competitive.

Some times, when compromises are needed, it just becomes a matter of swings and roundabouts. Personally, I suspect the installers will find a suitable voltage panel especially if you let them know you're aware of the issue, and keeping an eye on it.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want to save yourself a few squid, I've got 30 p300 solaredge optimizers sat in my garage, never been used!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • ely_ellis
    ely_ellis Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know anything about 833 solar and their Eternity panels.
    Any good? Price? Quality? etc?
    How do they compare with other panels?
    Cheers
    Martin
    Martin (With an I)

4.00 kWp System, 15° East of South, 35° Pitch, 16 (250w) x 8.33 Eternity Panels, Solaredge Optimisers and SE4000(16A) inverter, iBoost. Just North of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ely_ellis wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about 833 solar and their Eternity panels.
    Any good? Price? Quality? etc?
    How do they compare with other panels?
    Cheers
    Martin

Check some of the user signatures on here, can't remember who but someone has them and they appear to do quite well.

Saying that, don't get too hung up on a specific module as they all do "about" the same: x% efficient per module.
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 809 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As per signature line, I have 4kWp on the SE roof, and I just got in before they started to reduce the tariff so I'm now on 50p+ per kWh.

Looking at the prices of systems being quoted on here, I'm tempted to look at doing the NW roof, which would also take 4kWp.

How would I go on with respect to the FIT?
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    orrery wrote: »
    As per signature line, I have 4kWp on the SE roof, and I just got in before they started to reduce the tariff so I'm now on 50p+ per kWh.

Looking at the prices of systems being quoted on here, I'm tempted to look at doing the NW roof, which would also take 4kWp.

How would I go on with respect to the FIT?

Hi orrery, see section 10 of the PV FAQs.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,067 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to update all who helped me, on Thursday we are having the following fitted for 4800:
    14x Seraphim 285w panels (4 SSE, 10 WSW, 32 degrees, no shading)
    SMA TL3600 Inverter
    iBoost
    I think....
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A friend of mine has seraphim 250Wp panels and is made up with them. Good price for the system, more so with the SMA in the deal. Nice one.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 809 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hi orrery, see section 10 of the PV FAQs.

Mart.

Many thanks Mart. I take it that section 10 roughly translates to 'forget it'?
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    orrery wrote: »
    Many thanks Mart. I take it that section 10 roughly translates to 'forget it'?
    Hi

???? .... As long as the DNO allows you to have addition capacity tied to the grid then there should be no problem, just be aware that if you go ahead you'll really need a separate TGM so as not to have the potential for total generation to be apportioned from a single TGM reading, therefore reducing FiT income on the units generated by your existing, better orientated, system ....

Pretty sure that's what Section 10 said the last time I read through it ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport