'Where do you get your holiday cash from?' poll discussion

Poll started 27 June 2011, click here to vote

Where do you get your holiday cash from?

If you're going on holiday and need cash, where do you usually get it from?

Tick the answer that applies to you

At the airport
Online after comparing
Travel agent
Post Office
From your bank
A UK Bureau de Change
A cash machine once you're there
A Bureau de Change once you're there
I always pay by card so don't ever get cash out
I don't go on holiday
Other

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Your link takes us to a 'how many hours do you sleep' poll
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Been 're-pointed' now

[edit] has quite few 'repeats' though...
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    MSE Travel Money Maximiser, then order on-line.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • I go on holiday, but only in the UK, so my money comes from my bank account. This is worded as if you are going Abroad and need foreign currency, which is not applicable in my case, so I ticked 'other'.
  • down
    down Posts: 18 Forumite
    Poll started 27 June 2011, click here to vote

Where do you get your holiday cash from?

If you're going on holiday and need cash, where do you usually get it from?

Tick the answer that applies to you

At the airport
    Online after comparing
    Travel agent
    Post Office
    From your bank
    A UK Bureau de Change
    A cash machine once you're there
    A Bureau de Change once you're there
    I always pay by card so don't ever get cash out
    I don't go on holiday
    Other

Having lost money through Crown Currency Exchange/Crown Holdings Ltd. last year I turned to another Currency Exchange Company which I will not name for fear of liable, but they in turn shortchanged me by 100€. I informed the Company of the shortfall, but they would not accept my claim, I then got in touch with the Financial Services Ombudsman who after investigation ruled in my favour and gave the Currency Company some advice on their provision of this service. Unfortunately I am still 100€ out of pocket. I now use Cash Machines when on holiday.

I had previously used both companies earlier in 2010 without problem. Although all Currency Exchanges had to be registered and regulated by FSA from 1st May this year, I note that the un-named company I used has yet to be listed.
  • The post office built up such agood reputation for good exchange rates, that I went automatically to get some dollars without checking first got 1.47 when I could of got 1.56 now check and find online best followed by Marks & Spencer and alsp my mastercard gives a really good rate without risk of carrying cash around
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    The post office built up such agood reputation for good exchange rates, that I went automatically to get some dollars without checking first got 1.47 when I could of got 1.56 now check and find online best followed by Marks & Spencer and alsp my mastercard gives a really good rate without risk of carrying cash around

I don't know where they get this reputation from. Whenever I've looked at the rates there's always been more than 10% difference between the buying and selling rates.
  • zagfles
    I go on holiday, but only in the UK, so my money comes from my bank account. This is worded as if you are going Abroad and need foreign currency, which is not applicable in my case, so I ticked 'other'.

I ticked "from a cash machine once you're there" which applies to holidays in the UK and abroad:)
  • billshep
    billshep Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I usually get some before I leave - probably Post Office, will shop around if time, but if I'm going somewhere where there will be cash machines I use them when there to save carrying oodles of cash around!
  • zagfles
    billshep wrote: »
    I usually get some before I leave - probably Post Office, will shop around if time, but if I'm going somewhere where there will be cash machines I use them when there to save carrying oodles of cash around!

I haven't changed cash for about 10 years now! Airports invariably have cash machines, if not no problem just pay for onward travel by credit card, or worst case I always have a little in GBP I could exchange. For package holidays or driving holidays there's even less need. With euros I try to make sure I have a little left over for the next trip.

Although I've not been anywhere too far off the beaten track in the last 10 years...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure