Has anyone used Samy Hair products?

Options
Hope this is the right board for this question! :rolleyes:

I saw Samy bloke on a shopping channel a couple of weeks ago, and he used 'Icing' which gave amazing volume (supposedly). Just wondered if anyone has actually used this, or any other of his products (eg Fat hair, or Mucho volume) as MIL is in US at the mo and I could ask her to get some. Do they really do what he says, or is it all a marketing ploy?

I could always flog it on ebay, but don't want to rip anyone else off if it's pants!

Ps: I have got fairly thick awkward hair! :p
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it." :wall:
Bob Hope

Comments

• eryn_kathleen
    Options
    Hi, I know this topic is a bit old, but I've just ordered the fat hair spray. I've held off buying it until now, but I'm really excited to get it.

I'll let you know if it's any good (fingers crossed!).
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bit late for this now but there might be some reviews on here, in amongst all the comments about his OTT shows!

hope you get on ok with your fat hair :D (it's free p&p this weekend on Ideal World isn't it?)
  • Fiverqueen
    Fiverqueen Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, I'd forgotten all about this thread! Well, MIL did me proud and got me some 'Icing' and some 'Mucho Mousse'. The icing does give big volume, but I found it quite sticky, and the volume didn't really hold for that long. I confess to not having used it much because of that. It would be great for going out in the evening, but not for everyday use. (If only I had somewhere to go!:rolleyes: )

As for the mucho mousse, I use it every day and love it! It gives really great volume, even on my thick tresses, and lasts most of the day. Am really hoping the inlaws plan another trip to USA before it runs out!:D

Still interested to hear about the fat hairspray. MIL got that one wrong and bought me Charles Worthington by mistake! (Must have paid well over the odds for it!). It was great though, so if fat hair is similar it probably does a good job.
    "A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it." :wall:
    Bob Hope
  • eryn_kathleen
    Options
    Okay, got the Fat Hair in the post this morning (ordered on Sunday, so reasonably quick delivery). I'm at home today, so I've had a little bit of time to play around with it.

First off, let me say that I'm happy with it overall, and it definitely gives volume!

The first thing I did was spray some into my hand and rub it around to see if it's sticky. It's not, it disappears and doesn't leave a residue just like Samy says. I still felt like I wanted to wash my hands, but that's not a big deal.

The most surprising thing about Fat Hair is that it has quite a powerful smell. It's predominantly alcohol, with a sweet fragrance that is a bit cloying.

Then I tried it in my hair - I sprayed more into my hand, rubbed it around, and smooshed it into my hair the way Samy does on tv. What a mistake! Instant rat nest - I obviously have to work on my technique. Maybe I used too much, because my hair was a bit sticky.

So I brushed my hair out, or at least tried to. This part made me feel really sorry for those models on the Ideal World shows - I thought my whole scalp woud come off in one go! I got a wide tooth comb and gently teased out the sticky mess. I have to admit that once I got rid of the tangles, the spray did seem to come out pretty quickly and my hair looked like it hadn't been hairsprayed at all.

So trying it again, I found that flipping my hair over my head and spraying from a full arm's length away produced much better results. Definite volume, though I'm not sure how long it will last. Also, I have hair that absolutely will not curl, and I think this makes a big difference - if you notice all the models on the tv have slightly curly hair or seem to have had big velcro rollers put in before the fat hair is used. I think that this would make it look much better, but it's not something I can do everyday.

So, it turned out pretty much as I expected. I didn't really think that this would be a miracle product (I'm a bit cynical, and this is the first thing I've ever bought off the telly) but it definitely gives my hair a nice boost. I can't wait to see what happens the first time I wear it out in the rain!
  • eryn_kathleen
    Options
    Update to last post:

The Samy Fat Hair does keep volume in your hair for pretty much all day, and it is possible to have more volume than usual but less than the examples on his show (so you're not always looking like you're ready to go to a Dynasty theme party).

When I woke up this morning, though, my hair was extremely tangled and, although it didn't feel sticky, I could definitely tell that the product was still there. Combing it through was a bit of a trial.

Overall, quite pleased with it for going out, but couldn't use it every day. I think I'll probably sell the second bottle on ebay because it will take me forever to get through the first one!
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for the update :D

i'll be feeling the pain along with the models now i know what it feels like!

i did have some of his curls shampoo, conditioner etc. the shampoo&cond was very good & left my hair lovely & soft BUT it had a seriously overpowering smell, which really lingered...it would seem this smell is part of his range from what you've said too.

the styling part of the curls kit really got results too but left my hair very 'hedge backwards' the next day & i just had to wash it out asap.

similar results then i think - ok for a one off Dynasty do, but not for everyday.
  • zinnia40
    zinnia40 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi - I have purchased the Samy Icing hair product, I found it was so cold it was too painful to spray on the palms of my hands ( as demonstrated). This product did not work for me , I have shoulder length hair, it may work on short course hair but I was very disappointed as this product is expensive.
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    A very dear friend kindly gave me some fat hair styling mousse, and I think it's bloomin marvellous.

I get a much better style and volume with it than anything else I've used. I've got fine hair but plenty of it (according to my hairdresser :rotfl: ) it soon goes flat though without this stuff.

It's quite economical as you don't need to use much. If I can buy the hair mousse as a stand-alone item I would buy it for myself.
    :wave:
  • Chelski123
    Options
    Hi there, I have just found the samy range at superdrug and the ice is great, like a luminescent putty. there is also the dry one as well. They sell the whole range at at good prices but this wednesday 1st october they are being reduced as i called in today and noticed. i love the range and hope you do too.
  • TaBunny
    TaBunny Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What I'd like to know is this: would it be possible to get the same or even better effects with less expensive shop bought products?
    :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport