🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Primary schools in North Belfast?

Options
leftieM
leftieM Posts: 2,181 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am in a quandry. I am moving to North Belfast and know that the nearest state school is Cliftonville PS. So I assumed I'd send my child there. However after attending the open day I am not so sure. Although it seemed like a lovely school they have very few local children so my child would end up with no pals who live nearby (most travel from the Shankill area). Also, more worryingly, they have fewer than half the children they can accommodate so (I suspect) may close before my dd finishes.
I am not a local and don't know any parents in North Belfast which is why I am trying to find info on schools this way. (Yes, I am sad and desperate but I'm trying to make the right decision!)
Stercus accidit

Comments

• dan2002
    dan2002 Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    try Hazelwood PS on the Whitewell Road its an integrated school and I think there is a bus service to the school also there is Hazelwood collage beside it for when a child is ready to to to the big school ,give it a try
  • Englandsno.7
    Options
    I would highly recommend Cavehill PS, just off the Antrim Road.
  • leftieM
    Options
    A friend who has relatives in NB was telling me to check it out there. It's not as far as Hazelwood and def feeds into BRA (yes, I am very very very sad to be thinking about that!!) I suspect its pretty mixed religiously too which I want.
    Stercus accidit
  • dan2002
    dan2002 Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    well my children have went to and are still at Hazelwood collage ,have to say its a great school but I feel sorry for people trying to get their children in to it now as there is always to many and not enough places ,so if your children go to the PS then it should be a place in the collage ,as for BRA know few people there its a very hard school for a young child
  • leftieM
    Options
    I'll look at Hazelwood. I suppose I should chill about the secondary school thing for now. Who knows what my kids will turn out like. I would just hate to make a decision now that hindered them in the future.
    It's rather scary that the 11plus is being removed without anything to replace it. There'll still be academic selection of some kind, the grammer schools won't have it any other way. I suspect there will be entrance exams and some schools will tutor children for these in school time whereas if your child isn't in a 'feeder' school you'll have to tutor them at home privately (or take a chance and not tutor them at all).
    I know nothing about BRA - it was the only school in NB that I had heard of (and it's close to where we're moving).
    Stercus accidit
  • TrishaM
    TrishaM Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    If you are looking for a state school then Cavehill PS has an excellent reputation. Hazelwood for intergrated, and Park lodge for Catholic children. Another great school is Ben Madigan but this is a private school for all religious beliefs and the Prep school for BRA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport