Decorating Christmas Cakes

Options
I have 11 Christmas Cakes to decorate and just can not be bothered. Their all marzipanned and iced and just need decorations now, but as a novice cake decorator I can't get away with simple shop bought stuff.

I really can not motivate myself and have to clean the house also. Please give me inspiration! (and motivation)

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 :o it's a BOY:j

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    They'll be just as nice *not* decorated.

If you really want to revive an old tradition, try serving a slice of cake with a slice of cheese.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    A simple cut-out design (a bell or a star), coloured with food colouring or sprinkled with edible glitter. Have a quick look round the shops for cheap childrens pastry cutters if you haven't any suitable ones.
    If you have a steady hand, hand pipe "Merry Xmas" in coloured icing.
    Check out the supermakets for half-price tree decorations. I've just made Nigella's Choc Xmas cake and it's decorated with Sainsburys gold wire garland still in it's curly shape and a spiral tree decoration on top. Whole lot dusted with edible gold glitter. It doesn't look like your usual Xmas cake - but it does look pretty damn good even if I say so myself!!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    My regular "Can't be bovvered" (am I bovvered?) decorations are here (glace fruit) and here (glace nut).

Go on - you know you want to :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    leni wrote:
    I have 11 Christmas Cakes to decorate and just can not be bothered. Their all marzipanned and iced and just need decorations now, but as a novice cake decorator I can't get away with simple shop bought stuff.

I really can not motivate myself and have to clean the house also. Please give me inspiration! (and motivation)

You could try something incredibly simple like this, which is what i'm going to do with the (part of the) cake that i've marzipanned and will ice.. if only because i have to travel with it to the netherlands (long story) and anything else would just get destroyed, i think.

failing that, there's *lots* of ideas here, i think something there would provide inspiration, but do remember that often, the simplest is the best. even just a couple of (real), cleaned holly leaves, sprayed with silver (to mimic frost), and sat on a circle of white rolled out icing (which can be lifted from the cake when it comes to cut it) with some berries in the middle, and a ribbon around the cake can look absolutely stunning when you use good clean lines and good rolled icing..

HTH

keth
    xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills