🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How much have you saved this xmas?

Options
I reckoned it up loosely the other day and think I've saved myself a packet just by shopping around, looking at good deals, sharing tips on here etc.. so I thought I'd be a total moneysaving geek and reckon it up...

I had a spreadsheet of how much everything cost...and now i'm writing in the rrps ...and working out how much I have saved... its looking like HUGE savings already!!

I will let you know when I am totalled up!! :money:

Anyone any ideas on how much they have saved by being a savvy shopper this year??

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

Comments

• jezebel
    jezebel Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I've saved about £25-30 just with 3 for 2s and shopping around and adding a few freebies into the mix, this has gone on buying extra presents though so probably haven't really saved anything - I just look more generous than I really am!
    Mortgage Free since January 2018!
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven't really saved anything but I've managed to get twice as much for the same money. I saved £60 on two presents for my DD alone. I've got people some gifts that I wouldn't have been able to afford for them normally if I hadn't found them on special offer.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't totalised the final figure yet but expect it to come in at the budgeted £700 which I think is very low considering it includes all gifts/cards/food/drink and we have extended family and three children (6-10-11yrs)

I have saved time, stress and worry by starting early. I was out snaffling bargains in late Septemer when the summer season closed and all the sales were on (seaside town) and was buying a few non-perrishable food bits every week from October. By the time the Christmas Lights went on I'd all but done. I prefer to get all the commercial nonesense out of the way before Advent Sunday and then I'm free to enjoy all the things that bring me pleasure and are important to me at Christmas.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have given my youngest cousin an MP3 player I won, my oldest cousin a dancemat I won, my nan a DVD I won and my parents a CD player I won. A lot of other presents have been bought with gift vouchers I won. So xmas presents this year have ended up costing me about £80.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • I have bought presents for 20 people, and by my reckoning all presents together have a total 'value' of roughly £350 (about £15 to £20 per person, plus £100 on OH). Using many of the tips on here over the last year, including freebies, discount codes, quidco, pigsback vouchers, clubcard/nectar/boots loyalty points and mainly planning ahead I have only spent £80 of actual 'real' money!

It has been the cheapest Christmas ever and I'm really looking forward to giving the presents as I think I've got everyone something they will really like! The hardest thing of all has been the waiting... some of the presents have been bought, wrapped and hidden away for months and I'm the kind of person who can't wait to give the gifts and see the reaction so it's been quite difficult!! Oh, and I lost one of the gifts for OH as I hid it too well!! At least it was a freebie!!

A great big THANKS to all MSE'ers who have contributed their knowledge and finds to my cheap Christmas! And a very Merry Christmas to all! Here's to plenty more moneysaving in 2007!
  • Raspberry_Swirl
    Options
    what i've paid - £190
    what it should've cost - £330
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts