MSE News: Unemployment down but number still high

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
5 replies 1.2K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Unemployment has fallen by 88,000, while the number of people in work has increased by a similar number ..."

Replies

• JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the real news story is that 100,000 people who weren't working or claiming JSA are now working. Who is this?

My guess is that these would mainly be previously stay-at-home parents with a working partner.
    What are the chances that this is related to the cuts (harsher means testing) in tax credits?
  • quanto2009quanto2009 Forumite
    111 posts
    But this doesnt include people who are off the figures after claiming JS allowence for six months because they have a partner and savings . This happened to me was out of work for a year after 28 years working found a job didnt work out after 6 months cant claim a penny because not enough NI in the previous tax year and partner works more than 28 hours per week.I can sign on for my stamp but no money makes makes my blood boil when I read about people never paying into the system taking everything out.
    Looking for work but cant find anything.
    quanto
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    quanto2009 wrote: »
    But this doesnt include people who are off the figures after claiming JS allowence for six months because they have a partner and savings . This happened to me was out of work for a year after 28 years working found a job didnt work out after 6 months cant claim a penny because not enough NI in the previous tax year and partner works more than 28 hours per week.I can sign on for my stamp but no money makes makes my blood boil when I read about people never paying into the system taking everything out.
    Looking for work but cant find anything.
    quanto
    I haven't got any suggestions for your predicament, but I think you would be included in the list. There's a difference between the number unemployed and the number claiming JSA. So you'd count in the number unemployed but not in the number claiming JSA.
    If it's any consolation, it's people in that situation (unemployed but not claiming JSA) who _have_ found work in the last quarter.
  • edited 16 June 2011 at 7:55AM
    wantsajobwantsajob Forumite
    705 posts
    edited 16 June 2011 at 7:55AM
    2.43 million Unemployed, 1.49 million claiming Jobseekers. Clearly something wrong with the figures IMO. I am sure there are many more unemployed than 2.43 million. I find it hard to believe only 7.7% of the economically active population are unemployed.

Those in Quanto's situation could claim Working Tax Credits as a couple together.

I always laugh when the Government hints at extending school leaving age and youth training etc - because the aim is solely to massage the unemployment figures. If you're in education, you're not unemployed.

I'm nearly 31 and have never had a paid job due to a disability (Asperger's Syndrome). I am perfectly able to work, and am not lazy. Employers just aren't interested because a) I have difficulties due to my disability which become blatantly obvious at interview and b) I have no previous work experience other than on a voluntary basis. It matters little that I have a first class honours degree and a masters. And noone out there really gives two hoots because it isn't their problem. Even employers which claim to be equal opportunity employers discriminate against disabilities - and guaranteed interview schemes for people with disabilities are a complete waste of time, they merely permit the employer to tick boxes to try claim they offer equal opportunity, when the reality is they don't.
    Wanted a job, now have one. :beer:
  • I work in a local council benefit office and what we find is that people are coming off JSA and becoming self-employed but when you look at what they are earning it is nil and they are usually just getting working tax credits instead.....I think it is just the Jobcentres way of moving people off their caseload!!!:mad:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support