Magnetic Bracelets

Options
Hello.

I noticed whilst shopping the other day a health shop that has been open for sometime now called "Health Rack".

I went in and purchased some vitamins as they seemed a lot cheaper than where I would normally get my usual stock from (Boots).

Anyway, they were selling magnetic bracelets which are meant to provide various positive healthy benefits.

I remember my grandfather used to wear one.

I was just wondering if there was any evidence to support these claims regarding their potential benefit.

Would I see any benefit from buying one? I only suffer from eczema and hayfever.....

I was just wondering what other peoples opinions were on the subject :)

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Is the effect real?
    Our study has not entirely resolved the extent to which the effect of magnetic bracelets is specific or due to placebo

This trial indicated that there MAY be a slight effect for osteoarthritis of the hip and knee

I have not been able to find any research investigating their effect on hayfever or eczema. I cannot think of any logical reason why anyone would think that a magnetic bracelet could possibly affect these conditions.
    Would I see any benefit from buying one?
    IMO certainly not, total waste of money unless you like wearing a bracelet of this design as a fashion accessory and the price of these is identical to or less than the price of a non-magnetic one of similar pattern. IMO it's not worth paying one penny more for the potential magnetic effect on hay fever or eczema.

I've not seen Health Rack so don't know how their prices compare with Simply Supplements or ZipVit but usually they are much cheaper than Boots/Holland and Barrett full price and even with those high street shops special offers (bogoff or 3for 2) you need to compare the price as they could still be more expensive than mail order.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • sgx.saint
    sgx.saint Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Ted. I think under that advisement I will stay clear of considering one.

Think my OH is getting me a 'normal' bracelet thing for xmas anyway :)
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My first physiotherapist used to wear one which he would always remove before treating patients. I could only presume that they are frowned upon by his department and that patients could be led into thinking they do some good because he wears one.

I used to be quite open to complementary therapies but my colleague rams them down my throat every day, even claiming one of her cronies can cure cancer, so I now steer clear of them all. It is quite ironic that her dogmatic views on the evils of traditional medicine and doctors is what drives me and other staff to go to ours rather than seek something different.

From personal experience, my magnetic bracelets were a waste of money.
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    didnt work for my bad back pain but my sister it did work for so may or my not....
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport