Hope you are well too xx
    Mortgage Free as of 31/5/11 :j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • atushatush Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mummy,

You are making me have a little laugh.

I used to, in our debted years, buy a car with a car loan. But for a while now (3 years maybe) I have been putting money into a regular saver at 8% at HSBC at 250/mo to fund a new car so that I don't need a loan when I want a new car.

But, like overpaying on your mortgage (which I am still doing) it becomes addicted and I have saved more than 6000 but haven't changed my car. I can't seem to bring myself to spend it (or my husbands fund for his car either). I have actually been out and looked at cars, and even test driven them. I even think I know more or less (like you) what cars we want. But I just can't bring myself to spend the money.

So, instead I am driving my 6.5 yr old car and husband is driving his 11 yr old one ;-)

It will be fun to see if you spend your fund when you grow it lol.
  • edited 20 June 2011 at 6:43PM
    mummyofonechildmummyofonechild Forumite
    2K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 20 June 2011 at 6:43PM
    Mummy,

You are making me have a little laugh.

I used to, in our debted years, buy a car with a car loan. But for a while now (3 years maybe) I have been putting money into a regular saver at 8% at HSBC at 250/mo to fund a new car so that I don't need a loan when I want a new car.

But, like overpaying on your mortgage (which I am still doing) it becomes addicted and I have saved more than 6000 but haven't changed my car. I can't seem to bring myself to spend it (or my husbands fund for his car either). I have actually been out and looked at cars, and even test driven them. I even think I know more or less (like you) what cars we want. But I just can't bring myself to spend the money.

So, instead I am driving my 6.5 yr old car and husband is driving his 11 yr old one ;-)

It will be fun to see if you spend your fund when you grow it lol.

We shall see but if I get to 6K before 3 years I will carry on saving until the 3 years are up :D

Thank You :rotfl:
  • Morning Everyone :D

Hope you are all well.

I have just been food shopping. Set off early to get it all over and done with. Took DH with me to push the trolley and do the heavy lifting :o

I have also transferred another £400 into my C4 Picasso ISA :T
    I am tempted to set up a standing order to do it automatically but it is early days and do not know yet how much will be left over at the end of each pay period (4weeks) I know I have the self discipline to do this manually so it is not a major concern at the moment.

Have a lovely day.

MOOC xx
  • atushatush Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go to the shop after I drop the boys at the grammar school- saves money on diesel. but yesterday when I did my shop, the shelves were bare and I hardly spent anything lol.

On an island, if you go too early they haven't got the food from the boat to the shelves ;-)
  • Evening Everyone.

I have started my Christmas Shopping. I have bought this for my 11 year old daughter. I hope she will like it.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3315724

MOOC xx
  • Hi mooc....just read your last diary and got up to date with this one....wow!!! well done you!!:j:j:j

am really pleased for you paying off your mortgage quickly when you are the only wage earner.....:T its taking us forever and there are two of us putting into it!!!:o

look forward to following your journey.... :D
    Current Mortgage - £66,601 :eek: MFW No 74
    July 11 - 42 payments to make
    10/06/11- 1299 days to go
    OP Annual Target 4652/11925 Target to July 11 4652[STRIKE]4642[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]3762[/STRIKE]/7155 _pale_
    OP Monthly Target - £795:eek: June 1095/79:jJuly 903.52/795:j
  • Thank You :D

It was the redundancy experience that started this all off and thats how I ended on here looking for ways to save money and look at us now :eek:

You will get there in the end.

MOOC xx
  • Morning everyone.

I have managed to save £600 this month. What a difference it makes not having to pay the mortgage. By the end of the year we should have a reasonable safety net which is vital as I do not get paid whilst off sick and I have an ongoing back problem.

Hope you are all enjoying this lovely weather. I am inside settling down to watch the Grand Prix :D

Come on Lewis, you can do it :beer:

MOOC xx
  • cha97michellecha97michelle Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, you seem to be saving as much if not more compared to you overpaying. I guess the difference here is it is a darn site quicker to get back if things go wrong and you need to access it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Autumn Budget 2021:

Cuts to alcohol & air passenger duties

MSE News

Free Wills Month

For those aged 55+

MSE Guides