Diary of a 38 3/4 year old Debt Free Wanna Be

Options
Slimming-world
Slimming-world Posts: 139 Forumite
edited 5 June 2011 at 8:05PM in Debt free diaries
Hi to anyone reading this

I am starting this diary as I feel I need to keep a record of how my debts came about and how I feel and the effect it has had on my life whilst paying them off.

Also as a reminder not to EVER get into this mess again!!

I will start to the beginning, back in the 90's I had a house with my then BF who didn't have a very good credit rating so me being the (stupid) trusting madly in love fool I was I agreed to get loan(s) credit cards in my name with a promise from him to pay them off....well fast forward to 2002, I was alone and in debt up to my eyeballs so in what I can only describe as a sheer sense of panic and a full on dose of burying my head in the sand I began a paid for DMP...apart from the odd time I have managed to pop my head out of the sand and have a quick look around getting totally frighten and sticking my head straight it back underground again!

This brings me to now; I have finally had my Light Bulb moment :j and I am tackling my debts head on :shocked: I owe just over 12K to 7 different companies at the rate I am paying my debts I wont be free for another 10 years!!

I am now married to a wonderful man who has never had any issues with debt and I would like to start living my life again and not under the shadow and shame of this debt

Things I have done to get my money issues sorted once and for all so far are
Sent letters re Mis sold PPI
Sent letters re Charges (thought I think I am too late!! but anything is worth a try)
Sent requests for the CCA

My plan to get debt free
wait for replies to the above
leave the DMC and start paying to debts directly myself
With the help of my husband offer full and finial settlements (I am not sure about doing this as I have read that sometimes these dont work out) So if anyone has any advise with this I would be very grateful

Comments

• Slimming-world
    edited 17 June 2011 at 2:07PM
    Options
    PPI Refund requests

MBNA - Refunded 4/6/11 :j
    Nationwide - UPDATE they don't have statements going back more than 6 years...so it's a NO
    First Direct - Looking into it, awaiting update
    Monument - Looking into it, awaiting update
    GE Money -
    Capital One - Looking into it, awaiting update - sent letter to confirm signature
    Barclaycard - Completed Questionnaire, awaiting update
  • Slimming-world
    edited 14 June 2011 at 7:09PM
    Options
    CCA requests
    CL Finance (Evan account) -
    Westcot (First Direct) - Letter received 13/06/11 Awaiting Details
    Westcot (Littlewoods) - Letter received 13/06/11 Awaiting Details
    Westcot (Nationwide) - Letter received Postal Order returned need to contact Nationwide direct
    Link Finance (MBNA) - Letter received 09/06/11 Awaiting details
    Equidebt (Co-op) - Letter received 14/06/11 Awaiting Details
  • Slimming-world
    edited 17 June 2011 at 2:11PM
    Options
    Ownership of debt Query
    CL Finance (Evan account) -
    Westcot (First Direct) - Westcot
    Westcot (Littlewoods) -Westcot
    Westcot (Nationwide) - Nationwide
    Link Finance (MBNA) - Link Finance own debt
    Equidebt (Co-op) -
  • mumofjanda
    mumofjanda Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    Great start to your diary, Slimming-world!

I think it's a great idea to get rid of the DMC. By being in control yourself and with the support of your husband you'll soon reduce the time it will take to pay off the debts .........especially when you get all that money back from the PPI complaints!! ;)

You sound positive and motivated......no looking back, just big steps forward!!!!:) You'll be debt free before you know it!!

Good Luck!!!!!
  • Slimming-world
    Options
    Received some letter's today so I have been able to update my lists.

Need to go to the post office and get another postal order.

Link financial have sent me a letter stating that they bought my debt from MBNA in 2005 and haven't got the cca info so they are going to get in touch with MBNA to get it, i thought that if they owned my debt they should have all the details!

All the waiting is a pain! :rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport