second job

I hoped someone might be able to steer me in the right direction.

I currently have a full time job (35 hours a week) and earn enough to be in the 22% tax band.

I need to increase my income. Overtime isn't a possibility as it is not offered at work. I am considering taking on a ssecond job on a part-time basis.

What would the tax implications of this be?

many thanks for any help you can offer
r.mac
aless02 wrote: »
r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p

Comments

• Tax would be deducted at the basic rate (22%) from the part time earnings until your combined income brought you into the higher rate region.

Assuming the part time work is for a different employer then national insurance would not be due until you earned more than £91 in a week.

Elaine
    If it’s not important to you, don’t consume it
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Thanks elaine. Your advice has been really useful. I may take that second job now.

:)
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you're anything like Mrs YB, you'll have no end of trouble with the tax office. My wife has 3 part-time jobs (totalling 35hrs), all with the same employer (local authority education/schools dept) and all have different tax codes. She has to file a claim every year when she gets her P60's. Cheque values have varied from £72 to £419 (on £13K earnings) over recent years.

You may also have to inform your current employer of your intention to work part-time for someone else - depending on their rules regarding the "working time directive" and what you've already signed for them on this (I had to sign to agree to notify my previous employer if ever I wanted to undertake additional work - whether of the paid or voluntary kind).

HTH
    YB
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    YB - hadn't considered this. I will look into it. I intend for this only to be a short-term arrangement for approximately 6-months, so hopefully there won't be too many problems with the tax office.

thanks for your help.
  • Twmble
    Twmble Posts: 38 Forumite
    Without talking about something I know little about (that'd be a first ;) ) make sure you're allowed to. Due to the EU Working Directive, employees are limited in the number of hours they work a week and (I believe) are in breach of the law if they don't tell both employers about the other jobs. I know my own contract explicitly states that I can't get an part time job without explicit consent from my manager - I believe the thinking is that you won't end up doing what Homer did in the epsiode of the Simpsons after buying Lisa a horse - 2 full time jobs, 2hours a day sleep.......

Am I rambling? :o

T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family