Unnecessary spending must stop...

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've lurked around the site reading forums etc for years and thought i was sensible with money but it turns out..i was very wrong! Since i moved out of my parents and into my own home with my OH 5 years ago it's all gone a bit downhill. I seem to spend on irrelevant things i don't need (magazines, lunch, parking to name a few!) but now i want to start living outside of the overdraft - i am constantly in it these days. Also it's leading to unneccessary rows between me and OH where (unfortunately) he is right and it's my spending that is making our situation worse. This month i was unable to spend as i lost my bank card, as a result i am now in the plus and have money left over from my pay (never happens!) my question for you is this-which debt to tackle first? I have 3 in sight for now: 2 overdrafts, totalling £350 and one Credit card which is for £1300. I also have a loan of around £15000 i'd like to start saving to pay off but am assuming that saving when you have debt is not very bright. I have handed the new bank card to OH so that i can't spend randomly and have kept some cash aside for emergency situations. My SOA will be posted soon, but any advice you have would be well received. I see some people have done challenges - do they really work? i can't get a second job due the current hoursat my day job but i earn enough to pay the debt - i just need some discipline.
Thanks, A2S

Comments

• twinmum07
    twinmum07 Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

yep - saving when in debt is a huge no-no.
    Have you used whatsthecost.com to look at your debts and work out a debt free date? This helps you to prioritise and put the highest APR first to blast the debt as quckly and cost effectively as possible.
    Look forward to seeing your SOA
    Est. debt free day April 2016 (ish) Debt at June 2010 £34,247.13
    Debt at Dec 2011 £27,499.09 (19.7% paid off)
    Working together with DH on our debts (twindad07)
    Long haulers supporters DFW #256
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport