GP charge for medical report

Options
I wondered if anyone had experience of paying for a GP to complete a medical report (for work) this was a simple form which meant filling in three questions, 2 of which were tick boxes, for which they charged £89! (I didn't have to see the GP) I have 2 colleagues who have had the same form completed, one was charged £30, the other just over £50.
I looked on the internet for info, but I couldn't find much guidance and it seems GP's can set their own charges?
I paid the fee (and claimed it back from work) as I need the form for my job, but was thinking of writing to the practice manager to ask them to explain the charges.
I know it's not my money, but it seems like a lot.
"Normal is not something to aspire to - it is something to get away from" - Jodie Foster

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    It is a private service so they can charge as they wish. If you equate a GP to a solicitor, it would be quite usual to charge £300 per hour, so £89 would amount to around fifteen minutes work. Given that they do have to check your records before completing the form, it seems very reasonable to me.
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport