🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

DMP & Strange MBNA/Virgin Statement

Options
Hi all...

I received a statement from Virgin CC today - my first since being on a DMP.

It's a weird one! I owed them £191.68 (my lowest debt :) ) the statement now says I was credited £190 for a Late Fee Adjustment.

So now I only owe £1.61.

Weird...I was confused - then happy - then thrilled - then dubious...

There was no accompanying letter no phone calls nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Does this really mean I only owe £1.61 or am I missing something? I'm sceptical!

Thanks.

Vicki

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nope, maybe it is a collection of late charges over the last few months. Which is nice of them. Do you phone to ask though?.....
  • vicki_1981
    Options
    Thanks Lenny - I haven't phoned them yet. I've been out all day and didn't get the post until I got in, just before I posted the message.

It would be great if it's real...that would make the card paid off...well...all but £1.61 but I can manage to pay that! :)
  • oscar52
    oscar52 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Options
    If i were you, I'd pay the £1.61, then in a few days when its cleared, phone them and cancel the card ..... dont give them chance to think twice. Plus at the moment, they have a load of new, untrained (though there are some long term employees like that) staff. Will probably try to talk you round, keep your account open, but some dont even bother.
    No Longer works for MBNA as of August 2010 - redundancy money will be nice though.

Proud to be a Friend of Niddy.
    no idea what my nerdnumber is - i am now officially nerd 229, no idea on my debt free date
  • AndyR_3
    AndyR_3 Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    You didn't send in one of the letters asking for your charges back, did you?

I would suggest sending a cheque/postal order for the £1.61, with a letter stating that the enclosed funds are in full and final settlement of the debt, and requesting the account be closed. That way, if they bank the cheque, it's clear and they have no recourse against you at all. Keep a copy of the letter.
    Amazon sellers club - member number 63.
    January challange - sell 10 items. 0 down, 10 to go!
  • vicki_1981
    Options
    Thank you Oscar and Andy for your advice.

I hadn't sent them a reclaim charges letter - I have done so with Barclays and Nationwide but not any card companies.

I think I will write to them as Andy suggested, that way I too have a copy of the letter.

Thanks everyone. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family