Juice - NPower

Options
Hi all

My first post. I was going to change to NPower Juice 'cos they are about the "greenest" I could find and Greenpeace reccommends them. I'll wait now until Oct when all companies put up their bills etc. but thought I'd mention it.

Also, if more people do sign up to greener options then I imagine they wil become cheaper for all? So even if they are not the cheapest it might still be a good idea to change to them.

Scottish Power is the cheapest for me in S Wales on teh quotes etc. but NPower Juice is still quite good and way cheaper than my B Gas and Swalec at moment.

Cheers
Charles J

Comments

• pak2
    pak2 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    [move]hmmm, not sure whether to laugh or cry[/move]
    Npowers Juice is a very green energy, BUT all they are selling to you is their obiligated amount of green energy but at a higher price.

You don't get any special energy as the elec is delivered by your local RED (Regional Elec Distributor).

Have u looked at the Body shops green energy package? They are more supportive and adventorous regarding really green energy, as they have no commitment that they must meet (set by OFGEM) they choose to do it or green reasons.

Pak
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • davelewis1
    Options
    Cheers, I will shop around...
    Charles J
  • biscuit
    biscuit Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Officially speaking Good Energy are the cleanest - https://www.good-energy.co.uk - 100% of the electricity the company contributes to the national grid is from renewables (wind/hydro/solar). They're recommended by Friends of the Earth.

The company isn't part of a bigger less environmentally friendly company either.

I doubt they're the cheapest electricity company, but I'm prepared to pay more to support demand for renewable electricity.

Rich
  • davelewis1
    Options
    Cheers, will look. I'm quite happy to pay more too and I'm unemployed and can't really afford it.
    Charles J
  • loon_2
    loon_2 Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    ???

Npower do not produce any green energy at all. instead they purchase it from their sister company National Wind Power (or something like that), so i theory, they are much less greener than companies such as powergen, who produce their own green energy.
    Beware the green?
  • pak2
    pak2 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Loon, what r u on about now?

Npower, like all power companies do produce carbon neutral energy. There is a statute that states they must all produce 10% by 2010, and 20% by 2020.

I think you are confusing things, many companies set up sister companies to profit from tax loopholes, insolvancy of parts etc.

Take a look at companies house, and look up NTL.

Pak
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • John_Harris_4
    Options
    I would be very careful before switching to NPower I used Uswitch and decided way back in August to switch to Scottish Power, Npower stopped me,saying I owed them £7.27p, I sent a cheque by return of post and saw this cashed on my bank Statement, Scottish Power wrote recently and still claimed that NPower refused to allow the switch over, I then receievd a bill for Electricity only for £96 in September I wrote asking WHY?, did not receive a reply, but received a threatening letter from Northern Tracing & Collection Services LTd.- Pre-Court Division :'(, so beware-is there anyone to whom I can complain please?[glow=red,2,300][/glow]
  • Jethro_2
    Options
    Hi y'all
    I like the idea of supporting renewable energy and am considering N Power Juice (wind) or Scottish Power H2O (hydro) but what concerns me is although they promise to match my electricity usage with 'green' electricity how can you know that this happens, and also is it just a scam to get 'greenies' to pay extra for something that the electricity suppliers would do anyway e.g. do they already have commitments to purchasing or producing a certain amount of renewable energy? ???
  • dutchie
    dutchie Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    See here for info on the greenest electricity providers:

http://www.foe.co.uk/campaigns/climate/press_for_change/choose_green_energy/

I use Good-Energy and have been happy with them (and if you want a free bottle of organic wine msg me or another customer and get them to recommend you, you both end up with a free bottle)
  • saubryn
    saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    I used to work for nPower and they have placed wind farms in certain areas - Juice should be the same price as their normal energy if you are an nPower Northern customer.

For any other branch of nPower though, I think that policy differs.

Stupid isn't it since they don't even make clear which part of the company you are a customer of :-p
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure