"Is it tough to appear on programmes with 0870/71 Numbers?" Blog Discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's "Is it tough to appear on programmes with 0870/71 or Premium Rate Numbers?" blog. Please read the blog first, as the discussion follows it.

Comments

• Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    For me, this is the key part:

'...people are aware of the true cost and can make the judgement about whether they’re willing to pay it...'.

You are not conning anyone into paying for something they can't afford - if financial institutions operated in such a transparent manner (which they are now going to have to do, with the increased FSA focus on 'Treating Customers Fairly'), a lot of people would have a much better idea of what they were signing up for, which would possibly have helped prevent the situations that some have found themselves in.

And plus, by appearing on shows such as these, you are getting a valuable message across to as wide a range of people as possible.
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    If "The lovely Corinne who reads out the number always says “which costs 10p a minute from standard lines or more from a mobile.”" why doesn't the on-screen graphic show something like "at least 10p/minute from a landline"?

It shows the number and, surprise, surprise, NOTHING ELSE!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,420
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Heinz wrote:
    If "The lovely Corinne who reads out the number always says “which costs 10p a minute from standard lines or more from a mobile.”" why doesn't the on-screen graphic show something like "at least 10p/minute from a landline"?

It shows the number and, surprise, surprise, NOTHING ELSE!

The same day that programme started she only said, "calls cost 10p". I e-mailed the show the day after pointing out that calls cost 10p per minute, and the following day she said what you have quoted.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• I have also noticed that some national stores use an 0870 number for their LOCAL stores grr :mad: hardly a 'national' number!
  • _Jan
    _Jan Posts: 4 Newbie
    I've had to dial a 0870 numer numerous times for TalkTalk to try and sort out non delivery of my router and not being on line. They say it is free as I am a customer.

Also object strongly to having a 0870 number for the Glass and Glazing Federation. My Everest windows are rubbish and they are maintaining they are fit for the purpose - even after offering secondary glazing to put behind them to stop any draughts, condensation and make my home warmer. I'll try and post a picture of the extent of the problem taken beginning of December - I've still got rain water coming in, draughts enough to move two metal keys in the door, holes in the frame, noise and darn cold. If you cant see the picture here see them on http://www.grapevine4you.blogspot.com

As I was typing this Everest phoned they say I really need my aluminium windows - why if these are fit for the purpose as they claimed to the Glass and Glazing Federation!! I tell them they have missold me PVCu windows to put me back in the same position I was before (if they work!!) and charging me nearly £3000 for the pleasure. I have told them I want my money back and free window to put me back where I was before and if they have any Customer Relations skills they will reimburse me my lost heat and for all the stress and loss of amenities I have had here. They know darn well I will continue to fight unless they do. The installation manager can see where I am coming from and is going to speak to the "Powers that Be". They must have lost thousands of pounds already in people not now buying their product after they have seen and heard what is happening to me.

Jan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport