PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Reusing Wine Bottles (screw top) - for what?

Options
I'm just about to start home brewing (wine & cider) and I understand that I should use PLASTIC (fizzy drink) bottles to bottle it up...so having saved quite a few wine bottles that I shouldn't use for home wine making, can anyone suggest what to use them for? Every day usage and gift ideas welcome!

:money:

Comments

• missychrissy
    missychrissy Posts: 741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never made cider but I always use glass bottles for bottling wine including the screw top glass wine bottles. I find they take a cork fine and then I save the screw top to use when the wine is opened.

Although I use plastic demijohns and fermenters I was advised by a homebrew supplier that wine should not be stored in plastic containers.

Hope this helps
  • FLA27
    FLA27 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I always use screw top bottles for home made wine but not cider. Sometimes you do get a bottle that ferments a bit after bottling but I haven't yet had a bottle that exploded. I check the tops regularly and make sure none look rounded at the top, also, if any are fermenting, there should be evidence at the bottom of the bottle. If you are worried about any further fermentation after bottling, you can buy Potassium Sorbate from any wine shop which inhibits any yeast growth. Cider does continue to ferment a little, so plastic is better (and safer).

I've never made any wine kits before but I think they finish quicker than making from scratch, so maybe it's not a good idea to use screw tops for kits. Not sure.
  • CommitedToChange
    CommitedToChange Posts: 1,325 Forumite
    Options
    my homebrew wine is also in screwtop wine bottles - unless you're making sparkling wine then the screwtop are fine. If making sparkling you really need champagne bottles and corks.

You can buy corks to put in them - but unless I'm leaving the wine to mature for a while I just use the screwtops (sterilized of course)

I wouldn't put wine in plastic bottles - save those for the cider.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I dont know who advised you to use plastic bottles for wine - you dont! re-use your wine bottles! they take a cork and I have never had a problem with them - just make sure they are sterile and you bottle the wine at the right stage.
    Cider now - you can re-use any fizzy drink bottle (again sterilise well) and cap tightly.
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    r.a.i.n.b.o.w Posts: 638 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    I dont know who advised you to use plastic bottles for wine - you dont! re-use your wine bottles! they take a cork and I have never had a problem with them - just make sure they are sterile and you bottle the wine at the right stage.
    Cider now - you can re-use any fizzy drink bottle (again sterilise well) and cap tightly.

It was the general advice on the "Advertures in Homebrewing" thread on here. OK, I'll save my glut of bottles! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure