PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lunch on the move

Options
Hi guys, am hoping that you can help me with a bit of a dilemma about lunch on the move.

For the past four months I've been on a diet as I need to lose a total of 4 1/2 stone. I'm doing really well so far (have lost 1 1/2 stone) and want to keep up the good work.

Here's the dilemma. At the end of then month I'm going away for four days with a volunteer group. Our training - and our food - is going to be provided by the military. Now, I can just about find healthy options in the canteen at breakfast and dinner but lunches are going to be a complete disaster. From previous experience I know that we'll be issued with brown 'horror bags' every day - one long life (and very stale) cheese roll, a large sausage roll in mounds of long-life pastry, crisps and chocolate. If I'm really lucky I might get an apple as well. My diet is going to be blown out of the water.

I'd like to take my own, healthy packed lunches but I'll have no access to a fridge whilst I'm away. So, that rules out low fat yoghurts, salads etc. Can anyone think of healthy, low fat food (apart from fruit) which I can take with me and which will survive being kept in a tin under my bed for several days? I'm completely flummoxed :(

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss so far. I would say that 4 days is a small amount of time and don't get too hung up on what you will be eating...... mind you, if I was going to blow a diet for a few days it would be on gooey choc cake:D.
    Get things like Ryvita, snack a jacks etc for carbo nibbles. Take a bag of apples and oranges as they would happily keep for 4 days. Some other low-fat snacks like go ahead ones. Will think of more and pop in later.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    :dance:Oh, and BTW, I think if the military are providing the training, I wouldn't worry too much about piling on the pounds!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • funkymonkey849
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    :dance:Oh, and BTW, I think if the military are providing the training, I wouldn't worry too much about piling on the pounds!

Agreed! You don't want to be surviving on fruit and salads if you're being put through your paces

I'd probably stick with the sandwich/sausage roll cos you'll need some stodge to keep you going. How about swapping the crisps and chocolate for some dried fruit (e.g. apricots) and a healthy cereal bar - those eat natural ones are great and they're stuffed with fruit and nuts. These types of snacks will keep you feeling fuller for longer then crisps and chocolate
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Weight watchers do wee tins of tuna sweetcorn and mayo, you could have that in baps?
  • mycatdenzil
    mycatdenzil Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    I used to buy small tins of fruit when I went camping, probably not the lowest calories in the world but a least it's healthy.

Just make sure they have the ring pool lids on!
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh your poor colon!
    I remember those lunches with horror and thought they'd have been changed by now.
    I remember those biscuits you could use as house bricks, I'm sure it's all just to bung you up so you can't go while you're on manouvres :rotfl:

When I'm on the road now, I have those little tins of fruit with the rings-pulls on so they're easy.

Eat as much breakfast as you possibly can so you might not need so much at lunchtime.
    Don't worry about your weight, it's only 4 days but your food transit will be smashed.
    Put some dried apricots/prunes/cranberries in a little Lock & Lock container.
  • EmptyPurse
    EmptyPurse Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly it's 4 days of cross-country driving, so not much exercise (except biting my nails)! And if you think that lunch is going to bung me up, just wait until dinner time: lasagne & chips followed by sponge pudding and custard :D

Thanks for the brilliant suggestions. I hadn't thought about the WW tins as I always prepare stuff from scratch but I'll check them out - if they're single portion servings, that would be ideal. Am loving the idea of cereal bars, go ahead bars etc too. And I might just take lock&store tubs full of dried fruit too (weighed into ww portions, natch...!) in case we're out v late.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some soya yogurts and puddings don't need refrigerating - the Provamel ones are nice, not sure about the sugar content but I think they're lowish in fat.
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Yes the tins are 1 portion and ring pull. We used them for camping as don't need to be kept in fridge.
  • Purplekylie22
    Purplekylie22 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    I know im not going to spell it right, but my thoughts would be to make a largish container of *granola* (sp) with dried grains, different nuts and lots of dried fruits, u can use it as a snack during the evenings and u could just eat that for your lunch too if u wanted. Best really as a breakfast cereal with milk, but when needs must it could work out nicely for you :)
    Bankruptcy Supporters Club No.179
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport