How does tracing effect a credit rating?

Options
Need some advice on this one gang!

Its coming up to 2 years since I legally seperated from my Ex. The only assets outstanding to sort out were a loan, joint current account and TV i rented under my name from Box Clever, which EH kept hold of (I left the FMH and moved away so he kept most of the possessions).

Subsequently, I have closed down the joint bank account and he is still paying the joint loan (will have to sort this out using solicitor). The issue in hand therefore is the TV.

Many months ago I contacted Box Clever to say that it was in the FMH and gave them EH's phone number so they could arrange a time to collect it. Because I heard nothing for ages I assumed (stupidly) that it had been sorted. So i was a bit surprised to receive a letter today saying that I was £72 behind in payments and that I need to bring the account up to date. I phone the company and was told that they had tried to pick up the TV and that every time they'd gone to the house the EH hadn't turned up. They'd spoken to him numerous times and eventually he'd put the phone down on them and refused to communicate any further with them. He moved out of the FMH and didn't leave a forwarding address and would not return their phone calls or respond to their letters.

I had a long chat with Box Clever and they said they couldn't do anymore. Whilst they were sympathetic to my situation (EH won't return my calls or emails at all which makes life difficult and I don't know where he is living) they said that because it was in my name it was my responsibilty to track the TV down. Fair enough. So having taken a deep breath I told them that i didn't think that it would be possible in the short term so how much would it be to buy the tv off of them and then close the account. I don't have the stomach for a lot of chasing (believe I've tried) and I don't want my credit rating effected because of my prat of a EH (I'm trying to be polite!!). They were really good and said that it probably wouldn't be much and that they would send out a bill for the telly and then close the account. I then paid the outstanding amount of £72 and brought the account upto date.

This is where my question comes in. I asked the company what effect this situation would have on my credit rating. They said that because the account was now upto date there wouldn't be a problem. However, because they had to trace me to find out my current address (believe me I thought this had been resolved that's why i didn't think that they needed my new address - i admit i was naive!) they said that the tracing element would go onto my credit file. My question is what overall effect will this have? I have always had a really good credit score and have never been late on payments. Will this have a huge impact?

I'm really worried about this and angry at my ex because I believe he has done this deliberately. He did the same thing with the Joint loan 'forgetting' to change the DD over to his new bank account after our joint account closed and then letting the bank chase me whilst he disappeared out of the country for months, despite the fact that he has the car for which the loan is for and that he earns more than I do. It was agreed he would pay the loan because he was keeping the car. Luckily I tracked him down through the forces (he is in the Services) and got a direct contact number for him. I then gave it to the bank who phoned him direct. He then gave in an set up the new DD. Luckily the DD hadn't been more than a month in arrears so the bank agreed not to take any action in relation to my credit rating (they were really helpful as well actually).

Sorry for the rant, I just hate the fact that my credit rating is at the mercy of my EH. Does anyone have an idea how much of an impact tracing has on a credit report, especially if the outstanding debt was settled immediately? Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure