Civil Service Pension Scheme

Does anyone know if there's any way of enhancing a civil service pension after leaving civil cervice employment (for example, by making some sort of additional contributions), and if so would this be a better option than taking out a separate, additional personal pension?

My partner has a preserved final salary pension with the PCSPS, having ceased to work for them a few years back. She wants to leave this where it is, but it would be good if she could somehow enhance it?

Many thanks

Comments

• stuwilky
    stuwilky Posts: 297 Forumite
    It really depends what scheme she is actually in

http://www.civilservice-pensions.gov.uk/Menu.asp

The rule books and information on there are very helpful.
  • Thanks Stuwilky,

She left before the schemes were changed a few years ago, when there was just the one PCSPS - i.e., the Classic.

I did look at that website before posting, and yes there is a lot of useful info there but I couldn't find anything about the specific questions I raised in my previous post.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Nope, you cannot add to the occupational scheme if you are no longer an active member of it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks dunstonh - that was pretty much as I suspected. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport