Debt-Free Domestic Goddess Wannabee!

Options
Hello,
I've been reading quite a few of your diaries lately and it has inspired me to join in.
I doubt anyone will be interested in my ramblings, but at least if its written down then I have something to work towards and hopefully get me organised!

I work part time, hubby is self employed (as the wage is never guaranteed, we pay off what we can but are always conscientious of money and would rather make sure we have money saved ready to pay the mortgage if things go bad with work) and we have a baby girl.

I'm trying hard to get things organised (I do most as hubby has long days at work). Some days I feel like I'm doing really well and then others I feel like I'm getting nowhere (like today - awake at 4am and feeling demotivated already...).

We don't have a huge amount of debt, but it's enough and I don't like it!
We have a loan £5,250.00ish (maybe a little less but only by a pound or two), Credit card one £2355.00, Credit card two £1662.00 (just transferred this to a 0% and not sure how much the balance will now be with the fee). Rough total of £9267.00. Once this is paid (loan finished in 2 years, once thats paid I hope to clear the credit cards quickly so my aim is 2 1/2 years but with the help of this site I hope to clear a lot sooner!

I'll write myself some challenges soon....!
MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26

Comments

• chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    welcome and good luck with your debt busting
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • tootoo
    tootoo Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you Chev!
    I'm going to set myself some challenges to help me out.
    So far today I have had a LSD (2 stamps and paracetamols).
    I'm being os and changed my meal plan as I have some cream to use up.
    I've tried a new recipe (made the sauce ready - smells good just hope it tastes ok!).
    Also done a survey online too - using any money made this way towards christmas, any left over will be put to use at paying off the credit cards!
  • tootoo
    Options
    Well, just a quick update to keep me motivated.
    Paid the credit cards for this month (overpaid them and will make any extra payments I can through the month).
    Our car died, but after the initial scare, the total damage was less than £400 (we were expecting a lot more) thats all paid.
    I'm popping a few bits on ebay (not had much spare time to find anything), not sure if they will sell or not but I may as well try before I give to charity.
    Baking a ham today (this can then be used for dinner, lunches tomorrow and dinner monday night - any leftover for lunches tuesday), I also want to make some cakes if I get time (this will hopefully save some of the treats in the cupboard for a little longer).
    Need to tidy, iron today and prepare for tomorrow.
    Happy Sunday to anyone reading.
  • gothrockchic1
    gothrockchic1 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just popped to wish you good luck x
  • tootoo
    Options
    Thankyou Gothrockchic1!
    Your goals look as though they are going great - well done!

Saved £25 over the weekend, I'm challenging myself to see how long it can last in my purse!
    In the meantime, the money I would have used to 'top up' my purse will be put to one side and used to pay towards the cc.
    Hubby doesn't get overpaying but has agreed to overpay the same amount I've made/saved every month.....so thats a start, even if its only an extra £10 per month, it all adds up doesn't it?!
    Tootoo
  • tootoo
    Options
    Another entry - a little overdue!
    Well wednesday is my big cleaning day - after a few days at work the house is in need of it.
    Another month - so fresh new attitude!
    I'm aiming for £200 in the grocery challenge and also trying to make a payment a day for the month of June (even if they are only very small!). Today my PAD is only 23p, it's almost payday though and instead of thinking its only 23p, I'm thinking every penny counts. I have a few pounds in there already as at the weekend instead of going out for lunch, we treated ourselves to a takeaway lunch and spend 1/4 of the price, so the difference was put into my PAD account! I felt good not to spend it!

I have an outstanding payment on ebay - I emailed and asked to be paid in the next day or I shall re-sell. Why do people buy things and then decided not to pay?! So the profit on the item (if I get the money) will go towards my PAD. Hubby thinks we should do half for cc and half for savings, which is a good idea as I'm not sure how money will be later in the year due to his work. If we don't need the savings then we can soon put that towards the cc anyway.
    So far today I have a load of washing drying in the sunshine, picked up a parcel from the post office (bargain to put away for a present, so money saving in the end!), washed the dishes and had a general tidy. I have a lot to get on with so I should really get on with it!
    Jobs for today: -
    Clean & tidy kitchen
    Hoover all downstairs
    Polish all downstairs
    Bake some treats - I think maybe some simple cupcakes.
    Tootoo
  • tootoo
    Options
    Another weds - got lots of cleaning done already today, washing done and ironing. Meal plan has changed again tonight as hubby is out, but he can have what would've been tonights tea tomorrow now!
    Been paid for a few hrs overtime this month, so thats already in my PAD a/c and savings.
    Had a shopping order arrive sunday - cupboards and freezer is full so this should last at 2 weeks!
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi tootoo, just catching up with your diary, hadnt realised you had one sorry!!

Well done on getting you cleaning done. I do love it when ive been shopping and the cupboards etc are brimming :D!!!
    Mummytogirls x

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck with the debtbusting, I'd like to be a domestic goddess too :D
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • tootoo
    Options
    Thank you Mummy and jwil!
    I try, not always easy with a toddler though...as fast as you tidy it because a mess again, wouldn't have it any other way though!

I love cooking (especially baking) and it's so much cheaper to make your own so it helps. I made some lovely chocolate brownies last week - they didn't last long though!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport