The new Scrabble words – a critical analysis of how useful they are

edited 9 May 2011 at 4:47PM in Martin's blogs & appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the news
8 replies 3.1K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• Sublime_2Sublime_2 Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    I got invalid URL after clicking the blog link.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Will this skew your averages, Martin?
    Will you have to start again from zero?
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Will this skew your averages, Martin?
    Will you have to start again from zero?

A very good question - but as it'll skew my averages in a positive sense I think I can cope :) (had it been a change that'd skew it negatively - I think i may've had to do a discounting calculation ;) )
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • The new words are fine but is anyone going to tell facebook scrabble?
  • bargepolebargepole Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This is all well and good, but the new words won't be allowed in official Scrabble tournaments, including this year's World Championship, until 1 January 2012. So for any serious players, forget about them until then.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • SueC_2SueC_2 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Oh deary me... suggesting everyone needs to buy a new Scrabble dictionary when there's a free on-line checker available:

http://www.collinslanguage.com/extras/scrabble.aspx

:T
  • Picasso7Picasso7 Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Don't suppose for one minute that the rather pathetic Scrabble app for iPhone will know about these new words. It doesn't even accept zoos -- last time I tried, anyway. Don't suppose Martin wants to run a campaign for (a) a better Scrabble app with a proper list of Scrabble words and (b) an app to check Scrabble words which does not rely on an internet connection? Please....
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Picasso7 wrote: »
    Don't suppose for one minute that the rather pathetic Scrabble app for iPhone will know about these new words. It doesn't even accept zoos -- last time I tried, anyway. Don't suppose Martin wants to run a campaign for (a) a better Scrabble app with a proper list of Scrabble words and (b) an app to check Scrabble words which does not rely on an internet connection? Please....

Mrs MSE has an scrabble dictionary app on her iPhone (i dont have an iphone) called superwords which is great and doesn't need the internet. Thogh whether its been updated with the latest I dont know
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Water bills a struggle?

Find out what help's available

MSE News

Cyber Monday 2022

Avoid the hype - only spend if you were going to anyway

MSE Forum

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

40+ shows incl Disney's Frozen, The Lion King

MSE Tool