Anyone familiar with Aberdeen hotels?

ziggles50
ziggles50 Posts: 714 Forumite
Hi
i'm looking to book a hotel for a weekend away in July with a friend and have no idea where to start- missed out on a groupon for Great Western Hotel at the weekend- hesitated as pal wasn't sure.*rolleyes* She has suggested Douglas Hotel but it's far too pricey for me like.:o
Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice, place relatively central (will be carless) or have an opinion on these two hotels?

ta

Zx
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven
Matthew 5:3

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,679
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 May 2011 at 12:07PM
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 May 2011 at 10:42AM
    Great western is a fine enough place - decent food, recently renovated and its bar has bands etc on a Friday and sometimes Saturday night.

Yes it is a little bit out of the centre - About ten to fifteen minutes walk to the West End of Union St/Holburn Junction. Not miles away and late buses take you to the Holburn St end of the road.

The Douglas is very popular with oil workers going on and offshore. On Market St, which is central but frankly, one of the worse streets in the city - Numerous rough bars, junkies, alkies, prostitution, fights and the last time I looked, one of the highest levels of random assaults and robberies in the city centre. The taxi rank is notorious for trouble. Esp on match days. I used to live in a flat just opposite it and frankly, I didn't need TV - just looked out of the window. Depending on what you want from the weekend, this may or may not make it a good base?

Travelodge on Union St/Bridge St is ok but again tends to be full of offshore workers enjoying their last bevvy before going offshore or their first when coming back and at weekends, it gets filled with party groups.

Jury's looks ok from what I've seen so far, although on the edge of the ropey Market St/Green area. You might want to consider the Hilton Garden Inn on St Andrew St and the Hilton Express on Chapel St. I think there is also a new Travelodge (or similar) open at the Holburn St end of Justice Mill Lane and an Ibis by the Castlegate, which is a bit better.
  • bonar
    bonar Posts: 228
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    have to agree market street is not a place to stay. is there anything in particular you are coming to aberdeen for lots and lots of hotels to choose from, are you travelling by car?
  • ziggles50
    ziggles50 Posts: 714 Forumite
    Hi thanks very much for your help.
    A friend and i are just wanting a weekend away- girly stuff and shopping. No wild partying or anything. My friend is a bit sensitive so we'd probably like somewhere that full of madding crowds lol!
    We are coming by train so won't have a car.
    I personally like the look of the skene house hotels/suites. and the prices are perfect.

thanks again
    Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven
    Matthew 5:3
  • pogofish
    Forumite
    edited 7 May 2011 at 12:57PM
    OK, The Skene House near Holburn Junction would probably suit you perfectly then - And if you are into shopping/girly stuff, remember that many of Aberdeen's small/independent/more original shops are located in the Rose St/Chapel St/Thistle St area nearby. Which won't be anything like as crowded'

Easy access by bus from station/Union Sq and for nightlife, some of the better bars restaurants/clubs are also within a few minutes walk..
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    I would say the Jury's Inn would be best. You are off the train and right there then you have the three shopping malls minutes walk away. The HIE in Chapel Street would probably also be ok or as someone else suggested the Hilton in St Andrew Street. But for easy access to station Jury's Inn is your best bet. Have a look at laterooms they often have good prices
    travelover
  • MrsWassire
    MrsWassire Posts: 204 Forumite
    The Garden Inn is supposed to be brilliant!
    *Insert interesting words here*
  • lemonslice
    lemonslice Posts: 36 Forumite
    Theres a Holiday Inn express in Chapel street walking distance to the shops
    - Jurys Inn, you cant get closer than that its inside the actual shopping centre- Union Square

A Thistle hotel called Union Terrace Thistle which is bang in the centre, also a travel lodge?? on Bridge Street,
    hope that helps,

(i live in aberdeen)
  • Turtle2010
    Turtle2010 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Market Street is NOT what it used to be.

The whole area had a bad name for many many years, but lately it's really cleaned up it's act. The skanky pubs (St Andrews Bar / Metro) have long gone and have been replaced by nice new ones. The Rox hotel for example is beautiful.

I live in Aberdeen but research hotels for my work (Oil Company) on a regular basis. The Douglas Hotel is lovely (stayed there for New Years Eve, lovely rooms), the Jury's Inn is nice but basic / bland. Right next to Union Square shopping so it's an ideal location though. The Carmelite is nice too, but can be quite expensive.

The thing with hotels in Aberdeen is that during the week, you can struggle to find a room if you leave it til last minute, but weekends they'll be empty.

Have a look at Micasa apartments (also on Market Street) if you fancy self catering, they'll work out a bit cheaper and are new to the city. www.micasaaparthotel.co.uk

• pogofish
    Forumite
    Turtle2010 wrote: »
    Market Street is NOT what it used to be.

The whole area had a bad name for many many years, but lately it's really cleaned up it's act. The skanky pubs (St Andrews Bar / Metro) have long gone and have been replaced by nice new ones. The Rox hotel for example is beautiful.

Certainly it has improved on 10-20 years ago. However it still has a long long way to go - I'm just referring to incidents in the last year or so, up to around Feburary this year. It will be a long time till I willingly go down there again.

True the very worst of the old pubs have gone but I'm afraid to say that others are as bad as ever and some of the newer pubs are stepping right into their shoes - eg Gaslamp. Never mind that the red light activities have moved west and significantly increased in the area.

The plans for a redeveloped Douglas may be the catalyst for real change down there but it will be several years before that happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure