Pre-employment Medical Questionnaire - Do I disclose?

2»

Comments

• skattykatty
    skattykatty Posts: 393 Forumite
    I was offered, and accepted, a job nearly a year after my diagnosis of depression. As far as I know I sailed through the interview and practical stuff and everyone was happy to have me on board. I then recieved the medical questionnaire and answered honestly throughout. I was then telephoned by occupaitonal health and asked a few more questions. Once the bumph was sent to my line manager, she asked to see me and there was an implication that I had, somehow, deceived them. What rot! They didn't ask the questions. I told them no lies. My manager was also trying to persuade me to let other people know in case something happened! Like what? You don't actually go to work all perky one day and suddenly 'get depressed'! ANYWAY....

Upshot is: tell the truth. The job is yours. You are an adult. You now have an understanding of how the condition works and how to access support and self-support. As others have said, if you do need time off to help you manage the condition then it's all clear and above board.

By the way, I am still in the same job nearly four years on! So hopefully that's knocked the edges of some prejudice.
  • Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 May 2011 at 9:46AM
    Employers are still allowed to request this information under the equalities act 2010, but a) only AFTER an offer has been made and b) to use the information to make reasonable adjustments for the employee, not to make a decision.

I have put a link below to a gov website as there is a whole PDF on there about this;

http://www.equalities.gov.uk/equality_act_2010/equality_act_2010_what_do_i_n.aspx

Check out the PDF called 'Equality Act 2010: What do I need to know? A quick start quide to the ban on questions about health and disablity during recruitment'

People have also been talking about reasonable adjustments - this is a broad term and covers anything from back supports to reduced working hours and time off for appointments. I would not withhold the information, but be positive 'yes, i have bi-polar, I am on x medication and me, my family and my GP know the signs if my health is deteriotating, but this hasn't been the case for x time'.

I have been in a simliar situation and have had two jobs since my last depressive episode - I have been up front and have had no issues.

Hope this helps ;)
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure