PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2011 at 1:24PM
    Hi everyone
    Had a spend of £39.21 bringing me to a monthly spend of 139.28. Usually I shop on a friday but as things are tight i thought I would use up what we had indoors and shop monday. The fridge/freezer was pretty empty but had enough for the weekend and even made a fruit cake and some rock cakes. I hated being stuck indoors but I got some gardening and tidying done and it was ok. best wishes.

Well done clearandfree. You are doing so well. Keep going:T

Just a quick update .. spent 30.87 Mr T on Thursday and haven't bought groceries since. Made home made pizza yest for dinner with home made coleslaw too. Enough Pizza left over for lunch today for DS and DD. Other DS not home from uni this weekend. Have 2 curries (1 hot 1 mild) cooking at the moment as we have our Sunday main meal in evening. Going to pop Mr T's tomorrow for very basic fresh items. Have loads in freezer so meal planned up until thursday and have enough to meal plan until at least the start of next week. So good luck to all and need to get onto Flylady as I didn't last week.
    take care all
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Aww thank you for your support,
    I am not a very good cook, but i will be trying hard to learn - I moved back home recently, as i am on long term sick (trying hard to get better and get into work) and i cant pay my parents anything to live at home, being 22 its not good for your self esteem. So i thought if i try to save them money with the shopping etc, then maybe i will feel a little better about sponging off of them, they think its a fab idea!!

Look forward to getting to know you all well over the next few months :D

x
    Hi ya Ronniesmummy. You are very welcome here. I am quite new too and have learnt so much. They are a great bunch on here, really friendly and helpful. I have gone from a very basic unadventurous cook:rotfl: to now making pizza, coleslaw, bread and lots of dishes from scratch..give it a go sure what could go wrong. Everytime you try a recipe it gets better:)
    I am sure your family are glad to be able to help you. Enjoy being looked after. Take care of yourself and get well soon:A
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • ieimimiai
    ieimimiai Posts: 54 Forumite
    Hi hope everyones done well this month, havent had much time to get online this month, however i seem to have done well with a total spend of £68.16 for the month, just been eating mostly what we already got, will prob have to stock up a bit though now this month so going to aim for £110 please.
    Married on 16th June 2012. :j
  • LianneH
    LianneH Posts: 271
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    new to this... can you put me down for £250 for month of May (only just got paid last week!)

Cant wait to see how I get on! :)

Grocery challenge May £250/??
    DFD 5/10/11 :rotfl:
    Debt Free Roll of Honor #598
    DFD 28/02/12 :j
    MFW 19 years - aim 11, prefer less!:D
    #222 EF £1k 60/1000 :cool:

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just popped in to wish you good luck dawn and thanks for starting the thread. It's good to have a fresh look at things for all of us. I get really fed up with those threads with 10 000 posts!:rotfl:and so many of the old ones are out of date on prices now.

Your DGD would enjoy making the jellies and Scotch pancakes with you. I know mine loves watching for the bubbles to show. Pancakes are another good pudding too.

I shop mainly in Asda (with occasional trips to Lidl, Aldi, Farmfoods and Iceland for specifics that I stock up on) for just me and OH most weeks and end up spending a great deal less than you so it is possible. Admittedly, we don't have to make packed lunches but most days it's fruit and a sandwich which is quite portable.

I always write a rough meal plan then 'shop' from my freezer/storecupboards before writing my list. I then only buy the ingredients I must have to make my meal plan. I also buy any offers of things I know we'll eat so I'e got a good store. I always portion up meat for the freezer from larger packs and do some batch cooking of things like chilli, bolognese, curry, soup. That way I always have my own HM ready meals for lazy days.

I don't actually spend a great deal on toiletries or cleaning materials. I buy DH large shampoos when on offer (Lidl is good for this) and his Simple soap at the poundshop and his Body Shop stuff when there's a code on here (30 -50% cheaper). My own stuff is often from gifts or offers but I really don't get through things that fast.

For cleaning I buy Flash (or equivalent) liquid and dilute it in a spray or use neat when I have to. I use SP washing powder and use a tbsp at a time with SP vinegar for softener. I have bleach (again Lidl), a bit of Ajax and Cif and SP polish but they last for ever. Maybe we're just dirty people!;)

Perhaps you'd like to post a rough meal plan of what you like to eat and we could suggest cheaper alternatives.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A couple of small spends to report this weekend. Neither were necessary when I am on a tight budget this month but the first was a box of DH favourite biscuits half price from M*S and a loaf of handmade bread from the artisan bakery near DH work. Both will be used for lunches this week and I will freeze the sliced loaf I bought until later in the week.

Sausages with redcurrant and mint sauce, mash and veg tonight followed by apple pie and ice cream. Yum Yum :D Sticking to the meal plan so far!

I discovered this morning I am out of dishwasher salt but will hang on until I have to get some fresh bits on Thursday to last DH over next weekend as I am away for a girls weekend in the sun:D:D
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • balmaiden
    balmaiden Posts: 623 Forumite
    Just popping on to say good luck and thanks for starting this thread. I so agree with Mamam that some of the earlier similar threads are outdated and take an absolute age to traaaawl through.
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Spend of £4 odds today. My local tesco is closing for a week for a refit, and the only time I could get there was the hour before they closed. OMG it was like Xmas eve!!! :eek:

I only needed milk and some veg. I lost count of the times I got rammed by trollies, hit with baskets etc. Maybe I'm not cut out for this shopping lark!!

Got 3 jars of the 20p pasta sauce. Will do for lasagne or stuff pasta, when I need to use up whats left in the fridge. There were loads on the shelf and it had an SEL of 20p on it.

:beer:
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • Long_tall_sally
    Long_tall_sally Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Unfortunately spent a bit more today as had run run out of marg, bin bags, veg for us & the rabbit & guineapig & also bread. So all in all, not a great month after all!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • espresso21
    espresso21 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Xspender, that redcurrant sauce sounds good!

Please can I be put down for £300 for June. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure