Free Food Saving Memo forum discussion

edited 26 April 2011 at 3:43PM in Food shopping & groceries
10 replies 6.2K views
Former_MSE_RoseFormer_MSE_Rose Former MSE
128 Posts
edited 26 April 2011 at 3:43PM in Food shopping & groceries
This thread is specifically to discuss the
To reply or discuss the article, just click reply.
Thanks!

Replies

• Just a note on this Memo - eggs which are stamped with the Lion Mark have been vaccinated against Salmonella. Most British eggs bought from supermarkets are Lion Eggs (well, chicken eggs..!) and eggs from a farm or garden are unlikely to have use-by dates anyway.

[Because I'm a new poster, links have been disabled. But please Google "lion mark eggs" for full details.]

The best way to check whether an egg is fresh is to put it into a bowl of water. A fresh egg will sink to the bottom and roll onto its side. A less fresh egg will stand upright, but it's still OK to use. Only those which float have gone off.

[Again, please Google "check if an egg is fresh". Delia also confirms this on her website.]

So again, so need to bin them just because the supermarkets say so.
  • Ellekaypea wrote: »
    Just a note on this Memo - eggs which are stamped with the Lion Mark have been vaccinated against Salmonella. Most British eggs bought from supermarkets are Lion Eggs (well, chicken eggs..!) and eggs from a farm or garden are unlikely to have use-by dates anyway.

[Because I'm a new poster, links have been disabled. But please Google "lion mark eggs" for full details.]

The best way to check whether an egg is fresh is to put it into a bowl of water. A fresh egg will sink to the bottom and roll onto its side. A less fresh egg will stand upright, but it's still OK to use. Only those which float have gone off.

[Again, please Google "check if an egg is fresh". Delia also confirms this on her website.]

Came to this thread to say the same. Ate a bunch of eggs that were 2 weeks past best before and I was totally fine, put them in a bowl of water and they were all stood upright.
  • BeateBeate Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That's what I do with eggs too, OH thinks I am mad, but haven't had salmonella yet.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • rygonrygon Forumite
    748 Posts
    Ive had them a month out of date and they were still fine. Good tip on the floaty eggs thanks
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • fairtradefairtrade Forumite
    476 Posts
    How MSE is it to print out an A4 page that states the obvious?
    For myself I am an optimist - there does not seem to be much use being anything else.
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • hermumhermum Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If it saves just a couple of quid a month, then very MSE.
  • rogerblackrogerblack Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    As long as it's on the use-by date, it's quite OK to freeze it, and then use it immediately anytime in the next few months.

Of course - many foods are not going to work at all frozen - generally any sort of crunchy vegetable or plant material that you want to stay crunchy.
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Ellekaypea wrote: »
    Just a note on this Memo - eggs which are stamped with the Lion Mark have been vaccinated against Salmonella. Most British eggs bought from supermarkets are Lion Eggs (well, chicken eggs..!) and eggs from a farm or garden are unlikely to have use-by dates anyway.

I always use the bowl of water method to check.

Here's that google term link: http://www.google.co.uk/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=%22check+if+an+egg+is+fresh%22&btnG=Search
  • debbydoodebbydoo Forumite
    57 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is there any way of looking at the memo without printing it off as I don't have a printer at home? can't seem to find a link for it?
  • mcallister1mcallister1 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    fairtrade wrote: »
    How MSE is it to print out an A4 page that states the obvious?
    It is obvious if you were taught it by your parents or in school or picked it up in life. But it looks like many people didn't or are confused by various food scares and so don't have confidence in what used to be known by everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android

MSE App

Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools