how to remove the smell of ...

hi i was wondering if anybody had any tips of getting rid of the smell of cat wee out of clothes and handbags without forking out the money for dry cleaners =) any advice would be appriciated
:santa2: :rudolf:
:D

Replies

• kymbogskymbogs Forumite
    538 Posts
    White vinegar, brilliant for smells!
    :heartpulsSpoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!:heartpuls

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
  • soupdragon10soupdragon10 Forumite
    967 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    For anything washable I would use biological washing liquid on a low temperature setting. For other things I've carefully wiped with cool soapy water (I use Ecover w/up liquid). It does take a while, one of my little dears decided to go on a pair of fur lined suede boots. That took a while.

Vinegar is also good (I've used this on non leather handbags) but sparingly using soapy water has always worked for me.

You can add a few drops of essential oil to give the water a gentle perfume if you want to.
  • sb44sb44 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I bought a smaller bottle of this below from Pets At Home a couple of years ago and it has just ran out.

I need to buy some more so I am glad I saw your post as you reminded me to get another bottle.

It leaves a slight smell which doesn't last long, smells a bit like those vinyl toy bones you buy for the dog. ;)

41ZC380PDZL._SS500_.jpg
  • kayandy_2kayandy_2 Forumite
    657 Posts
    thanks guys ive tried washing it in the washing machine its been in 3 times but that seems to have gotten rid of the smell a little bit but not much ill give some of the suggestions ago thanyou =)
    :santa2: :rudolf:
    :D
  • Waffle_OnWaffle_On Forumite
    408 Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    kayandy wrote: »
    thanks guys ive tried washing it in the washing machine its been in 3 times but that seems to have gotten rid of the smell a little bit but not much ill give some of the suggestions ago thanyou =)

If the items can go in the washing machine, that's the easiest way to use vinegar. Put some in the softener compartment - I just half fill it!

I'm yet to hear of it failing!
    Shrinking my mortgage!
    Nov 13 £166,000

Jan 17 £142,900
  • DippypudDippypud Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Waffle_On wrote: »
    If the items can go in the washing machine, that's the easiest way to use vinegar. Put some in the softener compartment - I just half fill it!

I'm yet to hear of it failing!

I second this...:cool:
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • babyshoesbabyshoes Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    For things that can't be washed, a thick layer of bicarb, left to work for a number of hours before being brushed or vaccuumed works for pee smells!
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides