Payment holidays does this sound right

Options
Rang C+G and enquired about payment holidays for 6 months, we pay £412 and owe about £52,000, they said all that will happen is the monthly payment will rise by about £1 a month for the term of the mortgage which is around £15 years + a one off admin charge of £30 added to the mortgage (probably best to pay cash for that )

I asked if this was the correct price a few times and she said yes, it sounds a bit cheap to me just an extra £1 a month

The wife is expecting in January and has just finished work , i owe £2500 on credit card which is 0% but i woul really like to clear this up and the payment holiday would pay this off in full, do you think this would be a good idea ?

Comments

• AndyWallace
    Options
    deanos wrote:
    Rang C+G and enquired about payment holidays for 6 months, we pay £412 and owe about £52,000, they said all that will happen is the monthly payment will rise by about £1 a month for the term of the mortgage which is around £15 years + a one off admin charge of £30 added to the mortgage (probably best to pay cash for that )

I asked if this was the correct price a few times and she said yes, it sounds a bit cheap to me just an extra £1 a month

The wife is expecting in January and has just finished work , i owe £2500 on credit card which is 0% but i woul really like to clear this up and the payment holiday would pay this off in full, do you think this would be a good idea ?

£1 per month x 12 months x 15 years = £180. Have you been making regular overpayments previously or is £412 because you took a shorter term mortgage?

Andy
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Ive never made any overpayments, £412 is the monthly payment i make and i have around 15 years left on a 25yr mortgage
  • AndyWallace
    Options
    Then it's probably not right. if you consider the maths:

£1 per month x 12 months x 15 years = £180

£412 x 6 = £2,472

If you have previously made overpayments on the account then the lender will often use these overpayments to negate any underpayments or payment holidays.

HTH
  • deanos
    Options
    I thought if i took 6 months holiday it would add 6 months to the term of the mortgage + 6 months intrest spread over the term ?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    could be £10 a month if you extended the term by 6 months.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • AndyWallace
    Options
    deanos wrote:
    I thought if i took 6 months holiday it would add 6 months to the term of the mortgage + 6 months intrest spread over the term ?

It depends on the lender and its terms.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/public/mortgage_steps.pdf
    silvercar wrote:
    could be £10 a month if you extended the term by 6 months.

Sounds about right to me.

Andy
  • deanos
    Options
    Thanks folks will have to ring again, see if i can get it in writing £10 a month is gonna be alot cheaper than paying the credt card every month when i have to make full payments in April 07
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure