Mortgage or ISA? Confused!!

Options
I currently have an Abbey (Santander) eMortgage that is offset against an attached savings account & that I have been regularly over-paying, leaving me a nice little nest egg. Now that we are in the new financial year, I am trying to work out whether I am better off leaving this money where it is or transferring some of it to a new ISA but have managed to completely confuse myself!

Without getting into exact amounts, can somebody help clear this confusion up by explaining how the interest for both these products (mortgage/ISA) works? The current rate I am paying on my mortgage is 1.09% whilst the ISA that I am considering quotes 3.50%. However I have got myself confused by being charged monthly on the mortgage but only receiving one annual interest payment on the ISA. Can someone please explain how this works in simple terms so that I can make a better informed decision?

Comments

• RosieTiger
    RosieTiger Posts: 863 Forumite
    Options
    The rate on the ISA is greater than the mortgage payment. If you put the max into the ISA you will earn more in interest than you will pay in interest for not having the same amount offset against the mortgage.
    Take the ISA.
    RosieTiger - Highest £242,000 Feb 2004 :mad:
    Lightbulb Dec 2008 £146,000 by March 2026:eek:
    MFi3T2 and T3 No 28 - Dec 2009 Start Balance £117,000
    Current Position-Fully off set by savings since March 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts