PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Party food AND special dietary requirements

Options
We're having a party on Friday night and I'll be making food. People will come straight from work so it needs to be more substantial than crisps, but still party food. One of the guests is allergic to diary, potatoes and tomatoes. Any ideas for party food we can all eat, to minimise cooking/prep time, and still suitable for her? I had been planning a big dish of potato wedges, salsa, pizza and cakes but some of those are unsuitable or need major adaptation. I've never done dairy free cooking before. Thanks.

Comments

• Paige
    Paige Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about a huge seletion of raw veg eg, cuc, carrots, pepper sticks, celery, cauliflower florets and some breadsticks and warm pitta bread to go with the salsa. This is tasty and quick - no cooking. If you have time marinate some sliced economy chicken breast in garlic, chilli , veg oil and soy sauce (maybe a touch of runny honey) skewer them on wooden BBQ skewers and grill, bake or pan fry them. Serve hot or cold. Paige X
  • suzywoozy_3
    Options
    cakes are easy dairy free, use a dairy free spread instead of marg (pure, vitaelite etc) and if you need to add milk just use soya, you wont notice the difference.

You could make a dairy free dip (as the salsa will be out) using a mix of soya yohurt and mayo (most are dairy free but you should check the label) and some curry paste/powder, and as Paige says do veggies and pitta bread.
  • lightisfading
    Options
    pitta breads, cut into triangles, drizzled with olive oil and maybe a few herbs, abd grilled. serve with hummous and veggie sticks.

vegan brownies are pretty good, very rich so serve in small squares (unless you have bad PMT, in which case just get the whole pan and a spoon ;) ). I use this recipe which uses american measures (cups), but shouldnt be hard to find a brit one online if you cant convert it.

"Blend 1/2c oil and 1 1/4c sugar til creamy. add 1 tsp vanilla. add in 1c flour flour, 3/4c cocoa powder, pinch salt. mix. add water as needed to make a stiff batter. Press into a parchment/greaseproof paper lined pan and bake til done at 375*F". (somewhere in the region of 15-20 mins for me usually, but our oven is very temperamental)
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Bhajis/pakoras might fit the bill. You could serve an assortment of dips, just let her know which ones are the sour cream!

Alternatively, how about rice salad just without the tomatoes in and plenty of peppers, peas and eggs as well as spring onions and what have you - easily done the day before. With that you could serve a variety of bits, perhaps a quiche with no tomatoes (cheese and onion springs to mind). Could all be done the day before as well so less stress for you. Paper plates and plastic forks would be what I'd do if it was after work...but then I'm very lazy.

Of course if she's allergic to eggs too it gets more challenging!
  • sarahlouise210
    Options
    Maybe find out what she does eat ... just because it is dairy free..she may still not eat it! I knew someone with a child with a dairy allergy - they brought their own tea to every party!!
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • mirry
    mirry Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    Options
    My son has mutiple allergys to milk,egg,nuts,fish and beans, so this is always a challange in our house , also I have a yeast allergy just to complicate things.... here goes;

Jacket potatos with tuna and salad, cocktails sausages, plain crisps, also lots of biscuits do not have milk in them. If she cant eat eggs, how about making a cake without eggs, to do this you replace each egg with a one level tablespoon of golden syrup . Rolls buttered with pure margarine, ham slices, chicken drum sticks.if you want to coat some fruit in chocolate then you can buy a chocolate from sainsburys called "kinnertons dark cooking chocolate".

We have the same challange on friday because its my dads 60th birthday,good luck , hope it goes well for you !
    Kindness costs nothing :)
  • nikibella
    Options
    Hi
    if you have enough space, why don't you make a buffet and keep the things as simple as possible, so that the guests can mix and dress them according to their own taste and needs?
    Have a nice party.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport