PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help! Risotto Rice Question

Options
Hi there,

I've planned a lovely risotto for tea tonight, with butternut squash and spinach and goats cheese. I was very pleased with myself cos I've ever made risotto before but knew I had some in the cupboard.

Well, just out of curiosity I checked the sell by date - it's May 05!! :eek: It's never been opened, arborio risotto rice. Am I mad to even consider using it? I've got nothing else to eat tonight, and baby has a very bad cough so I'm loathe to drag her all the way out in the cold tonight to the shops. What would you do? :confused:
Debts @ lightbulb moment (13/06/2006) - £59,842.23 :eek: All commercial debts now clear!!! :T Debts April - £20,000 to family (incl extra £10k borrowed for house deposit). DFD - Aug 2014
Proud to be dealing with my debts
Goal of the month - £500 on groceries for family of 5 - Apr 2011 - £620! :( May - £454.85 so far.

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My dad doesn't like risotto rice so mum always makes it with normal rice. You could use that if you were worried?
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • WeirdoMagnet
    Options
    I'm sure it'll be fine. If it were me, I'd use it. :)
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • Punky
    Punky Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Is it vacuum packed? Either way I would probably use it!
    Punky x
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Options
    As long as there are no bugs in it!
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Yes, seriously, if it doesn't move, it's fine. (No weevils).

It's actually still fine even if it is moving, normally (so I'm told) but I can't fancy it, myself. :p

Most grains keep for many years. Remember the Bible story of Jacob's dream? (Seven fat years followed by famine, wasn't it???) They stored grain for the seven fat years........

(Sorry, I'm not a religious nut - just interested in the social history!!!)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Brassic
    Brassic Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I was all set to cook it, but made the mistake of telling hubby, who has now hotfooted it off to Tescos on his way home. Wouldn't countence the thought for some reason. Ho hum.

Thanks for the replies guys :)
    Debts @ lightbulb moment (13/06/2006) - £59,842.23 :eek: All commercial debts now clear!!! :T Debts April - £20,000 to family (incl extra £10k borrowed for house deposit). DFD - Aug 2014
    Goal of the month - £500 on groceries for family of 5 - Apr 2011 - £620! :( May - £454.85 so far.
  • Brassic
    Brassic Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    Most grains keep for many years. Remember the Bible story of Jacob's dream? (Seven fat years followed by famine, wasn't it???) They stored grain for the seven fat years.......

Mmm, but the bible also had men who can walk on water and come back to life after death so I personally don't place that much in store by it. :o

Turns out we are eating the old rice - hubby reckons that the HUGE Tescos round the corner from where he works doesn't supply risotto rice :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure