PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Silicone bakeware and changing quantities.

Options
I'm going to make another Christmas cake using Delia's Whiskey Christmas cake recipe. Has anyone made a fruit cake in silicone bakeware and were the results as good as from a tin?

I'm not sure why I think they won't be but don't want to waste the ingredients. I normally use my round tin but this cake is going to be cut in 4 for presents and I've only got a square silicone 'tin'.

If the results are ok my next question is how do you work out how much to increase quantities to. The recipe is for an 8" tin but mine's 9inches.

:smileyhea

Comments

• finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    OK, In answer to my own question I guessed and increased the amounts by a fifth as this was the easiest way to work it out.

I don't recommend silicone bakeware for a fruit cake as the mix is a bit heavy for the sides as I found out. :( It's rescuable (word?) though as I can square it off when its cooled.

Thought I'd report back ;)
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you finc.

I make a lot of fruit cakes and was looking at the silicone bakeware, but wasn't sure about it.
    You've saved me wasting my money.
  • finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    dannahaz wrote:
    Thank you finc.

I make a lot of fruit cakes and was looking at the silicone bakeware, but wasn't sure about it.
    You've saved me wasting my money.
    Glad to be of service :D
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Yes and I've been looking at silicon too, but now I'll skip it. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure