MSE News: Below-inflation rise in minimum wage announced

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
25 replies 3K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The minimum wage will increase by 15p to £6.08 but the 2.5% rise is lower than the 5.5% rate of inflation ..."

Replies

• Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    whoopiedo :(
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • brightonman123brightonman123 Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    i'd like to meet anyone who could actually LIVE on £6.08 an hour..!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • TrowTrow Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    2.5% is a damn site more than many workers are getting at the moment. I'm on 0% for 3 years..
  • I distinctly recall Cameron saying "The minimum wage is safe with me". This must be a meaning of the word safe that I haven't previously encountered. Although it may be more than many are getting in percentage terms, bear in mind that such a wage is the pits to start with. I question whether this will be a saving anyway as the government will be topping up the wages of many who earn this sort of amount. Of course there will also be many who work for this who aren't getting a top up - generally single people and/or people with no children. I suppose if you have a couple both working full time (40 hours??) who have no children then that's a gross wage of £483 p.w. between them. Not good, but you could get by on that unless living in a city. A lot more difficult if someone is living alone as many costs are not halved (rent, council tax, heat, light).
  • grudzgrudz Forumite
    42 posts
    I'm currently out of work and I would relish the opportunity to work even for £6.08 per hour.
  • sweetilemonsweetilemon Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Its without a doubt livable. You just have to be careful what you spend your money on. Not ideal but better than being on benefits in my opinion.
  • Person_onePerson_one Forumite
    28.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its without a doubt livable. You just have to be careful what you spend your money on. Not ideal but better than being on benefits in my opinion.

Are you sure?

I'm technically on NMW but earn a little bit more each month due to unsociable hours add-ons.

If I just received my basic wage I wouldn't meet my outgoings and I have a very cheap mortgage and am very MSE on my bills!
  • FATBALLZFATBALLZ Forumite
    5.1K posts
    I distinctly recall Cameron saying "The minimum wage is safe with me". This must be a meaning of the word safe that I haven't previously encountered. Although it may be more than many are getting in percentage terms, bear in mind that such a wage is the pits to start with. I question whether this will be a saving anyway as the government will be topping up the wages of many who earn this sort of amount. Of course there will also be many who work for this who aren't getting a top up - generally single people and/or people with no children. I suppose if you have a couple both working full time (40 hours??) who have no children then that's a gross wage of £483 p.w. between them. Not good, but you could get by on that unless living in a city. A lot more difficult if someone is living alone as many costs are not halved (rent, council tax, heat, light).

I'm not sure where you read 'safe' as meaning rising by the rate of inflation every year. I expect he meant he wasn't going to scrap it. Quite frankly a single adult on minimum wage shouldn't expect to be able to afford to live in a home on their own, unless it's some dingy room above a kebab shop. I'm on well over average wage and would stuggle to afford a place to myself.

People on NMW should consider themselves lucky to get any rise at all, I fully expected there to be no rise at all, in order to save jobs.
  • Person_onePerson_one Forumite
    28.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FATBALLZ wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you read 'safe' as meaning rising by the rate of inflation every year. I expect he meant he wasn't going to scrap it. Quite frankly a single adult on minimum wage shouldn't expect to be able to afford to live in a home on their own, unless it's some dingy room above a kebab shop. I'm on well over average wage and would stuggle to afford a place to myself.

People on NMW should consider themselves lucky to get any rise at all, I fully expected there to be no rise at all, in order to save jobs.

It depends on a number of circumstances. Due to luck and a bit of good judgement I live alone but my mortgage payments are only just over half what a room in a shared flat would be in the same area. Yes I pay the bills alone but I also control what is used. It works out cheaper.

Some NMW jobs are absolutely essential to the running of society, do you really think its ok that the people who do them live a sort of sub-life, just existing with the bare minimum of acceptable living conditions?
  • moneyusermoneyuser Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Depends on circumstances. I could live on nmw. I need £650pm for all bills, this includes mortgage and car, petrol and food and basic sky. So there would still be a healthy chunk left over for fun :)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support