We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Removal of Name from Credit Check

My husband and I have a joint mortgage. He has debts from credit cards which he is now trying to pay off. He went to a debt advice company which advised giving the creditors £1 amonth which they have accepted. Some have now accepted part payment and the debt has been wiped.

This means he can obviously not get credit for a while. I have no credit cards, but I have two store cards which I always pay the minimum on time. But my credit rating has been affected because, I think, the joint mortgage? How can I get round this?

Comments

  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,935 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If you have a current financial link IE the mortgage, you can't get around it. If that link was severed for any reason you could issue a notice of dissassociation, but it isn't.
    Look at it from the lenders point of view. You and your husband are both liable for a large debt IE mortgage, and if he couldn't pay it would fall to you. Therefore anything that reduces his power to pay his debts also reduces your power to pay your debts because you have to pay a big one of his.

    Does that make sense?
    Regards




    X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

    Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • I am in exactly the same position it is so maddening because of this makes it harder to get the best deals. I will alway watch my credit report from now on as the entries stay on for 6 years from the date of default. Good Luck If you do find a way round this please let me know too any advice would be appreicated
  • Hiya sweetheart...

    Im an Ex Credit Analyst.. There is no way around this Im afraid. However non-judgemental lenders should look at you only.

    Mike
  • Teresa60
    Teresa60 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Ok thank you all. It is so unfair isnt it. All I wanted was a catalogue account, but I was refused. I have never been behind in any payments on store cards or catalogues, really maddening. xx
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    catalogues are generally poor value and their credit APRs are terrible...in this case maybe a narrow escape
    EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
    some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
    EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.