We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

HSBC want me to take managed loan...

2»

Comments

  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Steer well clear of HSBC managed loan. My GF was *FORCED* to take one and it has taken her 5 years and over 2K in interest on a 1K borrowing.

    Also HSBC will not let you repay early or overpay.

    Please, please don't make the same mistake she did.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,831 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Starting to break down! GG I think you have been treated abominally. Have you tried to open another bank account where you can get your salary paid into and DDs etc paid out? Could you then treat the overdraft as a debt which you pay off asap? If you can't transfer it to a 0% deal (does A&L still have 0% overdrafts for an introductory period?) you'd still have interest added while it was left with HSBC. And before HSBC realize you want to switch your current account you'll need to arrange with them some means of taking out enough cash for the month.

    I relaize that unfortunately you have all your financial dealings with the same bank which is why to regain control you need to get another current account so they can't decide where to apply your money as it lands on payday.

    Why are you in financial difficulties lately? Has something changed? As I think Clapton said if you're spending more than you earn you'll need to get that under control.

    If you can't get access to money for the month can you eat at your parents' or maybe get a temporary evening job to get some extra cash?

    I hope you get this sorted asap. You sound remarkably calm considering what has happened! Good luck with it all.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,831 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Oh and I'd say that the managed loan if it means borrowing 24k sounds a terrible idea. Would it be at a lower interest rate?? Or would it mean paying out far more over a longer period of time at higher rates? Before accepting anything like this make sure you know what the full repayment amounts would be as is and if you took the ML. Also do they want to secure this loan on your property? Converting unsecured borrowings to a loan secured on your home is rarely good news despite a lower APR as you could lose your home if you can't keep up the payments.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,935 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think the first thing is to storm into the branch and ask why your card was kept. Tell them you need to withdraw some money and it is against the banking code to keep your entire income, leaving you starving and in distress.

    Second thing is to open another account. It means a basic account but that can't be helped. Then get your wages paid in.

    Third thing is to start an action to get your bank charges back.

    Fourth is to start clearing your debts in general.

    The only alternative if you want to keep your account with HSBC and your credit card would be to take that managed loan. Personally I wouldn't but its up to you to decide how to proceed.
    Regards



    X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

    Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Thanks for the advice and support, guys. I do have another account with the Halifax that I never use, so that's an option. I might pop into NatWest or somewhere to see if they can do anything for me. Trouble is, I have to wait until the 22nd or whatever to get paid again, and the mortgage etc hasn't got out yet. I've written to the HSBC again today, explaining the situation, again. Perhaps nothing will come of it, but I figured it would be good to have my general discontent written down and on file!

    Xbigman - it wasn't my entire income, but it was about 65% of it when paid off the amount I was over my overdraft limit. Lots of bills get paid out on pay day, obviously, so now I'm at my limit again already with things still to pay! You say it's against the banking code - is there a particular bit you can point me in the direction of so I can quote it when I phone them?

    Thanks again
    Greens
    Make £10 a day challenge in 2011...£133.40/£3650<br>
    !!!!!! make me rich in 2011 ebay or else!!...£120<br>
  • Stay well clear I got a managed loan with HSBC and even when you get back on track financially they wont change it back to a managed loan or issue you anything more than a basic cashcard.
    Short term its ok but what if you are in a better financial situation in 2 years time like me and they will not help you change it back and you have great difficulty changing it to another bank due to your credit history being wrecked even more.

    Everyone has their own reasons why they opt and dont opt for a managed loan so at the end of the day its down to you but I would advise against it.
  • Pan_3
    Pan_3 Posts: 80 Forumite
    I actually have a managed loan with HSBC. I still have a Switch card with £100 cheque guarantee and also a £100 overdraft facility. Just thought I would mention that.
  • rchrisp
    rchrisp Posts: 191 Forumite
    i have a ML with them and they are absolute t**ts about it most of the time. before i set it up though, i arranged bank accounts elsewhere, so they cant take more than i want to give them. every month they phone me about it, promise to sort whatever the current problem is out (currently overdraft that shouldnt be there due to fees that shouldnt have been applied) and they never, ever phone back. if you try to call them, you just get their Indian call centre.

    now because of them never doing anything i ask, according to Experian ive missed my last 5 payments, even though they've all gone out in time! looks absolutely wonderful on the old credit rating, i can tell you.
    Payment a day challenge:

    Capital One Credit Card - £7.55/£1306.56

  • can you pay a managed loan back early?
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    :beer:
    Official DFW nerd no.190 :p
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.