Can I claim my pension

Options
Hi all just wanted to know if anyone could give me some advice Iam 56 this year and have been on the sick for a year and a half due to long term illness. I was with my previous employer for 7 + years and they paid into a pension scheme for me with the norwich union. I didnt put any money towards it myself but i was wondering if i could cash it in as im really struggling at the moment and unable to work because of illness and only get the basic esa benefit. I would be grateful for any information. Thankyou :)

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From 55+ yes you can, but obviously taking it earlier rather than later means you will have less each year (so for example you take it now you get £1k/month, you take it in 10 years you'll get £1.5k /onth).

As you know it's with Norwich Union you could ring up and ask for a pension forecast, they'd give you some information about how much you'd receive.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can only take 25% of it as a cash lump sum and either take the blance as a pension or leave it to grow and turn it into an annuity
    at a later date.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    was wondering if i could cash it in

no. You cannot cash in a pension. You can commence benefits from 55 as mentioned by lokolo above.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Loughton_Monkey
    Options
    Agreed. You can take your pension any time after age 55.

You do not have to accept the 'annuity rate' offered by Norwich Union [it's part of Aviva now], but can shop around for a better deal. [Aviva are usually pretty good, though]. But you can only take 25% as a cash lump sum, tax free, and the rest as an income. If your illness is 'life threatening' then you may be able to get an 'impaired life' annuity at a higher rate.
  • lattee
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice I am very grateful
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    From 55+ yes you can, but obviously taking it earlier rather than later means you will have less each year (so for example you take it now you get £1k/month, you take it in 10 years you'll get £1.5k /onth).

I can't help thinking that anyone who uses a phrase like 'I'm on the sick' really worries too much about the possibility of having a lower income in a few years time.

'On the sick'. Are we still living in a Britain in which Bless this House was primetime tv?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure