We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Bloody rip off book clubs

Can anyone advise me as to what I should do; whilst signing up for freebies I somehow managed to subscribe to 2 book clubs!! I have to buy 4 from each before next October, but they just have rip off after rip off, e.g ordering via website means cheaper postage... but higher priced books! The cheapest books (& usually ones I actually would buy) are "not included in membership agreement". :mad: Also, every month they send an editors choice & if you dont reply to decline it they send it to you so you have to pay for it or pay to return it! I know this is my fault for clicking away without reading small print but I thought I was just subscribing to get some information on the club not actually become a member.
Has anyone got any tips/ways of just fulfilling my "membership agreement" as quickly and as painlessly as poss??
Many thanks
Married my wonderful husband February 2013!:happyhear
I want to wear my beautiful wedding dress everyday- it would make shopping so much more fun, I mean, people go shopping in their pyjamas these days.......
Must STOP spending!!! :)
Proud to be dealing with my debts!
Beautiful Rainbow Babies born on 31/12/14 @2:45am and 7/6/2017 @12:44pm

Comments

  • lewt
    lewt Posts: 9,158 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    its not mango is it? i had them sending abook or too. on the back of the card in very little writting it dsaid by paying for this book you are agreing to join mango book club, lucky my mrs seen it really/. theres a thread on it somewhere.
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,935 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If you signed up to book clubs surely they then sent you some books that were on offer. If so, you should send them straight back. If you have accepted the opening offer you are stuck with making further purchases. Just find the cheapest ones you can and buy them. As for the editors choice type books, always always always reply saying you don't want them.
    Regards



    X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

    Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Sammz
    Sammz Posts: 3,406 Forumite
    If it's Mango just write and tell them you didn't want to join the bookclub. They sent me a book that I had never asked for so I sent it back and they cancelled my "account".
    OD Girls On Tour
    Barcelona 2008 - Dublin 2009
  • cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yeah bfc (books for children-who are part of mango I think) did this to me, I was stuck with it, but I use to come online each day and sign in2 my account and decline editors choice on here, otherwise it cost you £4 to send them back!!:eek:
    I bought the cheapest books I could find but were part of the "membership"
    if you haven't accepted books yet, you can write/email them saying it was a mistake and you don't want anything to do with their "club"
    Good Luck! xxx:rolleyes:
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • Never deal with BFC its so hard to escape from them. I'm still getting junk mail from them years later telling me what a valued customer I am.
    Barclaycard 3800

    Nothing to do but hibernate till spring






This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.